PDA

View Full Version : team stats now public

jjjjL
11-03-2002, 03:59 AM
Ok, so I just redid about everything having to do with stats, the website layout, and team stats.

First of all, the new website layout is up. I think it has a nice feel. I did it sort of fast so if you notice a small mistake (i.e. wrong page title, broken table, something not centered, etc) just drop me an email lhelm@umich.edu.

Second, the team stats are starting to look decent so I linked them across the whole site. :) They still aren't 100% but they have more info than the team stats on other distributed projects that have existed for years :rolleyes: so i'm pretty happy with my first day's work.

Third, all individual stats and team stats (not overall) are now realtime! :) Before they were delayed by 2 days to stop there from being horrible looking drop offs that made it appear like the project had just died or your clients were down. As the homepage states, I plan to make the overall stats realtime once most people have upgraded their clients.

Forth, I added Top 100 pages for all individual stats. To check them out, just go to the main stats pages and click on the links at the top of each top 10 category. I forget who it was that asked for this but you got it now. I'll add similar links to the team stats when it makes sense to. Last I checked, we have yet to fill the top 10 ;). Speaking of which, I hope no one thought team '(null)' was a real team... although they had a commanding lead in team stats for most of the day while I was at the Michigan v MSU game, they were in fact, just the total of all people who have no team set yet or are using the old client. you'll all have to come up with more creative team names ;)

Fifth, I just spelled it out on the homepage more or less how teams are going to work and how to create teams. I guess it's important to get that info out so heres a repost

"people have been asking me how to create teams. Right now, all you have to do is submit a block with a new team set and the server will automatically start tracking your team. If you're just looking to join a team, check out the teams on the team stats page to see who's already established. If you want to start a new team, just get all your friends a copy of the new client and all put the same team name (case sensitive) in the config after you install. It's really easy. In the future, there may be more advanced team stats with admins and stuff but this is where it all starts. Enjoy teaming up guys! :) "

I'm looking forward to seeing some teams come out of this forum. Maybe even an official Free-DC team? :D

So I think that's about it for now. Let me know what you guys think.

-Louie

smh
11-03-2002, 06:48 AM
Cool, the site looks much better now.

I've got one more question about the teams.
Yesterday, for testing purposes, i made a team with my own username. Of course it's a bit hard to get people in my team this way ;) What happens when i change the team name?

Will it create a new team and leave the old team there, or does it rename the teamname so all the work done until now (not that much :( ) still falls under that team?

Sander

<added> The general team stats are of (Dec 31 06:00 pm CDT).

Is this intended or one of the little mistakes you were talking about.

jjjjL
11-03-2002, 08:54 AM
smh,

if you change your team, it will not move your results to your next team. from my understanding, this is how most project handle this since it would be bad to let users who have tons of cpu time just jump from team to team making them each #1 when really no work is being done.

i wouldn't worry about one day's worth of work. now as for work done with no team affiliation, i will setup a way to have that assigned to a team eventually but only after the team stats code is a little more mature.

also, i'm not sure what error you might be refering to. I have been changing things the past few hours so maybe it was there and now it's gone. if you still see it, give me an exact description of where it is still

-L

ColinT
11-03-2002, 12:15 PM
ARRGGGGHHHH!

I just switched back to Seti to finish the project! Maybe I will split my boxes.

smh
11-04-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by jjjjL
if you change your team, it will not move your results to your next team. from my understanding, this is how most project handle this since it would be bad to let users who have tons of cpu time just jump from team to team making them each #1 when really no work is being done.

Yes, cEM's shouldn't move from one team to another, but could be transfered to the first team you join.

i wouldn't worry about one day's worth of work.

No i'm not really. But it would be nice if a team name can be changed. I made a team for another forum before i asked people to join. But for others it's not clear what the team name stands for. Maybe you could make it possible to link the team name to their website?

also, i'm not sure what error you might be refering to. I have been changing things the past few hours so maybe it was there and now it's gone. if you still see it, give me an exact description of where it is still

Never mind, it works now :)