PDA

View Full Version : New client versions released!

alpha
03-15-2009, 12:43 PM
The project has a new developer driving the project. Things had become a bit stale with no news and little client development for a long time. Not any more!

v1.6 of the client software has been released for Windows and v1.1 for Mac OS X. Get 'em here (http://whatpulse.org/downloads/).

The changes are subtle but it's nice to see that the project is becoming more active again. When you upgrade, your current unpulsed keys/clicks/miles will be reset, so make sure you pulse first. Also, your client preferences will be reset to defaults because these are now stored in the registry.

I've had a couple of minor problems with the new version but nothing major.

CaptainMooseInc
03-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Sweet. I can't get the Statstool to show my Whatpulse stats though. :(

Shish
03-16-2009, 03:26 PM
OK. Who broke it?

alpha
03-16-2009, 03:56 PM
What? Isn't it working for you?

v1.6.2 is already in the works to fix all the currently known problems. From the sounds of things I don't think it will be too long before release.

Shish
03-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Says "connection refused" ??? Thought mebbe Lauren bin there?

alpha
03-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Connection issues are amongst the list of known problems with v1.6 - hopefully all will get fixed in the bugfix release.

I think they changed v1.6 to communicate on port 80.

edit: actually, come to think of it, their website has been up, down and very slow over the last few days - that could also have contributed.

Shish
03-17-2009, 07:28 AM
No, just refused at website for download but it's working now. I've run Whatpulse for a while since t'other one died, can't remember the name of it.

CaptainMooseInc
03-17-2009, 09:41 PM
You're thinking of the best one there ever was. Tiny KeyCounter. It's still in my stats under Archived project.

I was getting so damn close to taking over 1st on the team with my daily key rate and the thing shut down!

Death
03-18-2009, 06:39 AM
1.5 version pulses no more.

everyone should install 1.6

alpha
03-18-2009, 07:25 AM
v1.5 still pulses fine.

paleseptember
03-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Have downloaded and installed on my work pc. Have joined team Free-DC. I don't nearly as much as I used to, but will (passively) do what I can :thumbs:

CaptainMooseInc
03-19-2009, 01:32 AM
Every keystroke counts. :thumbs:

Key-counter projects are definitely projects for those in love with stats. :clap:

alpha
03-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Great to have you on board, paleseptember!

I noticed that these days my mother is sending quite a lot of emails and spending more time on her computer so I've signed her up (wherry). :)

As Moose says, this is definitely one for those addicted to stats. There are literally hundreds of dormant teams above us that we can smash out of the way so get typing!

paleseptember
03-19-2009, 06:22 AM
Assuming the client software holds :P My .wpw file (user info I think) was corrupted after a reboot. A fair amount of digging to find the stupid thing, delete, redo my prefs, and I think I'm back on board!

And being in love with stats and metrics isn't a bad thing (says the mathematician!)

Shish
03-19-2009, 11:42 AM
It's one of those "benign" projects you can put on multiple "work" pcs or family if you can get permission, I suppose, as it doesn't need much in resources etc. Just a fun type thing for stats. Has come up as a threat on one Symantec Corporate setup and a try at using it at a higher school didn't get past the firewall threat compulsory list so go for it, works on a load of family rigs but some areas are no go. Definitely for stats whores tho' :blush:

alpha
04-06-2009, 10:41 AM
v1.6.2 has been released for Windows. (http://whatpulse.org/downloads/)

This time your current unpulsed keys/clicks/miles won't get reset when you upgrade.

Apparently, there are now problems if you use automatic hourly pulsing. Also, you have to exit the client software manually when upgrading to the new version.

Changelog:

Hi!

After a turbulent release of 1.6, 1.6.2 is now on the market. Here's the changelog:

Enhancements:
For developers: Added option to export Key Frequencies as XML.
When upgrading from 1.6 to 1.6.2, keys, clicks, distance and settings will remain.
Removed popup when opening Pulse Log if Pulse Log doesn't exist.
Changed tray menu balloon to multi-line.
Added ability to change between two ports: 80 and 3490 (Also fixes Pulsing/connection issues).
'Logoff User' now removes all data files.
Changed 'Check for Updates' dialogue slightly (makes it more clear that it is a notification not an updater).
Added 'Set Default Values' for skin settings.
Skin settings automatically revert to default if for some reason they all go blank.
All dialogue windows now show in taskbar.
Settings now save on Windows shutdown.
Pulses time-out after 30 seconds.
All dialogue windows now only open one instance.
Changed the way saving Key Frequency exports is done (automatically enters name and file type into save dialogue).
WhatPulse.xml is now stored in the same location as the .wpw files (Defaults to %APPDATA%\WhatPulse\).

Other Fixes:
Fixed bug where tray menu would display "Pulse! (Auto -2147483648 s)."
Fixed tab order in Program Settings dialog.
Fixed issue of WhatPulse? pulsing when an hour timer is set.
Fixed pulse timer not going over 1 hour.

Login Window:
Now shows in taskbar.
Tab order changed.
Added exit option.
Fixed: Button enable/disable issues.
Fixed: Dropdown box is now better sized and operates properly.
Fixed: Proxy Setting issues.
Many other small fixes.

Death
04-07-2009, 05:08 AM
hourly pulsing broken for me in 162. ((

xp sp3

alpha
04-10-2009, 03:23 AM
v1.6.2.1 has been released for Windows. (http://forums.whatpulse.org/showthread.php?t=4904)

Changelog:

Enhanced: 'Pulse timed out' message box now displays more infromation.
Enhanced: Changed all 'Check for Updates' references to 'Version Checker'/'Check Version'.
Enhanced: Installer attempts to shutdown WhatPulse during install - No more annoying popups!
Fixed: Version checker giving wrong version update details.
Fixed: Removed "state.m_iPulseEveryHours: '0'" popup box.
Fixed: Multiple issues with Check for Update/Distance settings.
Fixed: Selecting tabs in settings took focus from the window.
Fixed: Close button was not enabled after successful registration.
Fixed: Closing login window with Alt+F4 now removes data.
Fixed: Only one 'Pulse Timed Out' message will open until OK is clicked.
Fixed: Changed .wpw error box text - Now states that WhatPulse needs to be restarted (no manual deletion was ever required from 1.6.2).

alpha
08-11-2010, 01:41 AM
v1.7 has been released for Windows. (http://whatpulse.org/downloads/)

Changelog:

Windows 7 has issues with version 1.6 and below, it is possible for WhatPulse to suddenly stop counting. (usually under high load of the computer). We're glad to say that these problems have been solved in 1.7 and recommend everyone using Windows 7 to upgrade.

Windows 7 support is not the only change, here's a small list:

- New communication protocol
WhatPulse now communicates with the website over HTTP, which means a lot less hassle to get it working from a secured network. (proxies understand the pulses)

- Portable mode
There is now a portable mode setting available in the preferences window. Enabling this will allow WhatPulse to run from a USB disk or other portable media. This makes it easy to take WhatPulse with you.

- Key Frequencies image generator.
It is now possible to send your key frequencies to the website and have it create an image out of it. An example can be found here: http://bit.ly/cXF7dL. The images will be presented on the website better in the near future.

- Others
There's a new setup wizard.
Several bugfixes with large distance increases seen when using RDP.
Several other bugfixes: http://bit.ly/bDh7Dz