PDA

View Full Version : Passkey

IronBits
03-16-2009, 02:39 AM
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/FAQ-passkey.html

Folding@Home Passkey FAQ

What's a passkey?
The passkey is a unique identifier that ties your contributions directly to you (not just those with your username) and allows you to prevent others from cheating in your name. Obtain a passkey from our web site (see below), enter it when you configure the client, and the client and servers will do the rest. You should keep your passkey secret.

What's the purpose?
Previously we have not had unique identifiers in Folding@Home (usernames for example can be shared by many people). One main benefit of passkeys is that if someone cheats, we will not need to zero out the points of everyone with that username -- only the offending party and those without passkeys. Perhaps more interestingly, we plan to shortly institute credit bonuses, which will be tied to passkeys. Finally, the existence of passkeys opens up future possibility of displaying to you your individual credit and other information, rather than just by username.

Where can I get a passkey?
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

Do I need to get a passkey?
No, you can leave it blank during configuration and the client will operate normally. But we will not have any way of distinguishing units you completed from those others with the same name completed, and you will not be eligible for any bonuses.

Why does the passkey web page ask for my email address?
Because we send the passkey to you by email. If we just showed it on the web page, then anybody could claim a passkey for you.

Is there an easy way to enter the passkey into the client?
Yes, you can copy and paste it from the email you receive from F@H. On Windows, to paste into the console, right click on the Title Bar, then select "Paste" from the menu that appears. It is strongly recommended that the client.cfg file not be manually edited, as it's not a plain text file and could become corrupted.

Should I keep my passkey secret?
Yes. Don't post it on the Forum, etc.

What do I do if I forgot my passkey?
Go to the passkey web page and fill in the same information as before. You'll get another email.

updated on September 24, 2007

IronBits
03-16-2009, 02:40 AM
Sounds like a good idea, so I did all my clients.
Was real easy to do.

Fozzie
03-16-2009, 09:07 AM
have obtained a key too.