PDA

View Full Version : Block Report Postponed

ColinT
11-03-2002, 03:56 PM
What does that mean? My other computer does not say that.

Ixlandia
11-03-2002, 06:49 PM
I have been getting this same message too for a day or so. I sent an email to Louis about this and he said that this was not supposed to be happening. He said he was going to check into it and I haven't heard back from him yet.

I had to uninstall and reinstall the client on my machine and changed my username. I noticed that after uninstalling and deleting the SB folder in program files that there was yet more files in my Windows folder and who knows were else. Not that this is surprising when uninstalling any program.

It is my guess (in my case) that since all files were not removed during the uninstall and my manual deletion of the SB folder in program files that somehow the server is picking up information from my original install from somewhere (which should have been removed during the uninstall or at least by my manual deletion of the SB folder) and is now blocking attempts of my client to access the server for whatever reason because I reinstalled and created a new username. I don't know but in the meantime I went back to Gimps until they can get it corrected. I haven't had this problem anywhere else.

ColinT
11-03-2002, 08:40 PM
I deleted my SB foilder and reinstalled. It's running. I'll see what it does when it tries to upload

FoBoT
11-03-2002, 08:52 PM
i had the same thing happen
i uninstalled , then redid the install to a different directory
its at 40% so should know in about 15 mintues

:mad: nope, no good, still says the same thing
i am turning it off for now, until somebody figures out the deal

ColinT
11-03-2002, 09:18 PM
Same happened here Fobot. I'll turn it off.

Ixlandia
11-03-2002, 11:32 PM
The reason that uninstalling and deleting the SB folder is not working is because there are files spread out in different directories that are not removed during the uninstall and manual deletion of the SB folder. Go look in your Windows folder after an uninstall and you will see that they (SB files) are not removed. Where else these files may be lurking I haven't looked yet but the Windows folder is one.

I uninstalled again and used a new username with the same problem. The server rejects communication with my client. I suggest that after the original install that you don't uninstall again or change your username if you want to crunch for SoB or wait until this is fixed. To me it appears that tucked away in the original files that won't delete automatically using the uninstaller, is causing the server to reject communication with changes made to the client after the original install. I have no idea if that made sense but then again what the heck do I know!

jjjjL
11-04-2002, 12:43 AM
files in the windows folder? :confused:

and no, block report posponed is not always an error message as Ixlandia indicates. no work is lost when that happens.

it happened to him because he changed his username and ignored the message warning him to clear his current workunit. (The "Yes", "No", "Cancel") dialog that appears when you change usernames.

the block was assigned to one of his usernames and then he made another and tried submitting a block assigned to the other.

others of you may have similar problems. send me your log files if you get the message and i'll look into it.

remember -- block postponed == not error ;).

-L

OK, if anyone sees the message, post your log file and n value here until I get it

jjjjL
11-04-2002, 01:48 AM
I've gone over my code, and i can't find any errors.

i think the reason some of you may be having this error is because some of your blocks actually expired and this could under some circumstances cause the block postponed message when there is really an error transmitting.

the next version will try better to detect this situation and get a new block. i already know how i can do it. for now here's a simple quick fix:

1) Press 'Config'
1) Change your username to 'TempUser' or anything else. Press 'Save'
2) When prompted to clear your cache, press "Yes"
3) Open 'Config' again
4) Change your username back to your real username. Press 'Save'.
5) Press either Yes or No to the second cache clearing message.
6) Press 'Start' -- you'll get a new block and be all set :)

hope this helps those having problems. if you do this and still have problems, email me your complete log file.

and remember, block postponed can also mean the server is busy so only do this when you get the message several times in a row. or you can check the website to make sure you have the correct number of blocks pending... if it says you have 2 but you have 3 computers and one is getting the postponed message, then the block has must be over 2 weeks old so go ahead and use the above method.

hope this helps! :)

-Louie

Ixlandia
11-04-2002, 08:57 AM
Ok. Like I said, what do I know! By the way I did clear the cache and received a new block after my username change and it didn't make a difference. What I didn't do was follow all those extral steps as is mentioned in your "fix" just to make a username change.

I'm trying your fix and it's running right now. Let's see what happens.

Ixlandia
11-04-2002, 09:27 AM
Success! Following Louis's instructions for the "postponed" error worked. I successfully logged on and my results were sent to the server and my stats updated.

Thanks Louis.

ColinT
11-04-2002, 03:57 PM
That worked. I have my second box running now. That needs to go in the FAQ:)

Now I'll get a third box online...