PDA

View Full Version : Blocks vs Full test

smh
11-05-2002, 10:47 AM
Louie,

I think you should make it more clear on the website that you'll only do usefull work if you complete a full test.

The news of the new client spread on a few forums in the last day or two, and i read a lot that people are willing to try ot for a couple of hours.

In that time they'll complete a few blocks but if they are not completing another block within two weeks they wasted their cpu time.

Sander

Firebirth
11-05-2002, 11:55 AM
Really???

Isn't it so, that when the number gets distributed again after 2 weeks; it will also distribute the work done by the computers who got it first? - I don't think it's a big deal to make SB send the cache along with the (could be) prime!

- Anyway, any timeline for a Linux version, or shall we wait a couple of versions?

Mevs Tarje

smh
11-05-2002, 01:01 PM
I don't think it's a big deal to make SB send the cache along with the (could be) prime!

Thats true, actually, that was the case until version 0.90.
The cache files are getting too big, it would require to send the zXXXXXXX file to the server after every block. Mine is 258K at the moment. and they are getting bigger when the N gets bigger.

Sander

Firebirth
11-05-2002, 03:47 PM
Yeah, but I suppose, that for every block it's just some appending being made to the cache, so one could presumably just send the extra couple of lines made at each block; in that way, it wouldn't be all that much of sending to do.

Of course, - if the cache is altered completely in every iteration, I get your point!

Mevs Tarje

smh
11-05-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Firebirth
Yeah, but I suppose, that for every block it's just some appending being made to the cache, so one could presumably just send the extra couple of lines made at each block; in that way, it wouldn't be all that much of sending to do.

Of course, - if the cache is altered completely in every iteration, I get your point!

Mevs Tarje

The cache is just the zXXXXXXX file in the SB directory.
And indeed, every iteration starts with the result of the last one.

It's the result of the final iteration we are interested in. If this has a certain value ( 000000 ?) then the number is a PRP, otherwise the last 64? bits are sent to the server so the results can be verified later on.

jjjjL
11-06-2002, 07:55 AM
smh - i've read your replys on those forums. i understand what you're saying but when you post your info make sure to mention that as long as they do a block every two weeks, their cpu time isn't wasted. i think you're turning people off to the project by just saying "wasted cpu". i made a new catagory for team stats showing how many completed tests are done by each team. i'll try to make it more clear in the future but you have to realize too that someone who starts out just running it a few hours is more likely to run it for a few days... he's also more likely to show a friend our project and get others involved who do complete full tests. i know some people will only run it for a few hours, but i don't expect those to be the majority. also, in future versions of the client, the blocks will contain error checking info that can be used to verify blocks the whole way so then it WON't be wasted cpu. i think if people hear that now they will keep repeating it in the future even when it isn't true! :(

my point is people don't need to hear "wasted cpu" so much... :spank:

that aside, i appriciate you trying to spread info about the project on other forums. try and keep it positive when you can. i can't always be there to tell everyone the whole story. thanks a bunch. :)

-L

smh
11-06-2002, 08:59 AM
i think you're turning people off to the project by just saying "wasted cpu".

Okay, sorry, didn't mean it that way, but in a way it's true :bang:

I just noticed that a lot of people didn't know that blocks are just to let the server know you are still working on it and to update the stats. (which i love btw)

I agree that i should have brought it a bit more positively, i was just afraid that a lot of people would run the client for a couple of hours to get in the stats.

Sorry:haddock: