PDA

View Full Version : 1st in 31

LAURENU2
04-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Can We Do It ? Can we take the 1st Place seat in 31 days ?

What Kind of output will we need to reach 1st Place in 31 days

Who all will Help Free-DC reach 1st Place ?

:Pokes:Come on Guy/Gals lets Make the Last spring PUSH of 2009 A Good One :Pokes:

LAURENU2
04-29-2009, 01:09 AM
:guntotin::woot: 40K A Day :woot::guntotin:

IronBits
04-29-2009, 01:32 AM
I'm in! :|party|:
About May 2nd, I'll be able to add another ~240 per hour :thumbs:

Angus
04-29-2009, 02:06 AM
I think my brain needs a hard reset.

I just looked at the Free-DC stats site for this. :confused:Is there really only 70 people on this whole project? :eek:
No wonder it doesn't have the - ummm - features of a mature project.

I really thought this was the old Mersenne prime project that's been around for about 10 years or more, with just another new name - like Riesel or Sierpinski or any of the other identities that it seems to have worn over time. Confusion is further compounded by the fact that it seems to be running the same llrnet software package that dates back to at least 2005.

gopher_yarrowzoo
04-29-2009, 02:49 AM
I may just stick with P@H / nQueens / something else as the days of me doing things manual without some kind of menu driven system are gone as the pc I'd use would probably not be this one.

PCZ
04-29-2009, 06:17 AM
It's a tall order but doable.
Some of my boxes will be off sieving duty soon and back on LLR tests.

I will have a bit of down time between late on the 4th and early on the 6th as i have an electrician coming in.
Best he doesn't see some of my regulation breaking hookups. :)

BTW Lauren
You are making good progress on the top 5000 list.
More stats for you to keep an eye on.

http://primes.utm.edu/bios/page.php?id=1565

Max Dettweiler
04-29-2009, 09:41 AM
I think my brain needs a hard reset.

I just looked at the Free-DC stats site for this. :confused:Is there really only 70 people on this whole project? :eek:
No wonder it doesn't have the - ummm - features of a mature project.

I really thought this was the old Mersenne prime project that's been around for about 10 years or more, with just another new name - like Riesel or Sierpinski or any of the other identities that it seems to have worn over time. Confusion is further compounded by the fact that it seems to be running the same llrnet software package that dates back to at least 2005.
Sorry for any confusion about the project's nature. We are a small but rapidly growing project (yes, you read that right about the 70 people :)). I'm afraid you had a bit abnormal experience trying to get set up--we're currently in a bit of a transition phase where we're trying to move to a new forum and website of our own. I'm not sure why the new forum didn't let you post at first--it's supposed to and we hadn't had any problems like that yet.

One advantage of us being a relatively smallish project is that it produces a more personal atmosphere than a larger project would--for comparison's sake, look at some of the big BOINC projects like Rosetta and SETI, where most individual users wouldn't even dream of posting anything on the forum, except maybe to report a bug in the client. NPLB, on the other hand, has always had a very active discussion forum which the large majority of our members participate in. (Of course, it's not *absolutely* required that members participate in the forum, though it is encouraged. :))

Regarding LLRnet being somewhat outdated: Yes, we are aware of this. LLRnet was originally developed by the Riesel Sieve project a while back, which largely dropped the ball on further development of the application as they focused more on their BOINC setup. However, within the last few months a new application, PRPnet, has been developed which is much more versatile and easily-updated than LLRnet, and we are currently testing it out at NPLB in beta phase. Once we've finished integrating it into our current database setup, it will replace LLRnet as the primary application used by the project.

BTW--what exactly did you mean by "features of a mature project"? Do you mean an updated client? Our own forum? A website? (we're working on all three of those ATM :))

If you have any further questions, please, feel free to send me a PM at this forum or either of NPLB's (old or new). I'll try to answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability. :)

Max (NPLB project admin) :)

Digital Parasite
04-29-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm in. I left a few cores on NPLB since the gauntlet ended but as soon as I finish some other work I will put some more on NPLB. Of course I don't have the kind of firepower that most of you have, but every little bit counts right?
:thumbs:

IronBits
04-29-2009, 10:31 AM
You betcha DP! :thumbs:

pfb
04-29-2009, 11:11 AM
As mentioned before, I'll push on this until end of May irrespective of the PotM chosen...might as well find some more primes ;)

Fozzie
04-29-2009, 01:56 PM
as I still have that sitting around.

Or point me in the right direction

Digital Parasite
04-29-2009, 02:29 PM
as I still have that sitting around.

Or point me in the right direction

Should be the same thing, just fire up your clients again.

LAURENU2
04-29-2009, 03:01 PM
, but every little bit counts right?
:thumbs:

Yep they call it Teamwork
If Free-DC works together as a Team
There is nothing we can not achieve:Pokes:

Fozzie
04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
4 clients up and running.

Only got some long term tagets in SoB left so might as well join in the fun here.

OK strike that make that 8 clients.

LAURENU2
04-29-2009, 08:47 PM
How come the Raiders of the Lost Primes had more members in the top 10 Users for today then Free-DC had :mad:
I think we need to put a stop to that kind of behavior.:Pokes:
I :hiya:vote Free-DC should have the most Evey day:thumbs:

pfb
04-29-2009, 08:59 PM
It was only 1 more - got to give them something to feel happy about :crazy::rotfl::guntotin:

IronBits
04-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Some of the folks that were not in a team decided to join the underdogs...
Boy will they feel bad soon. :stomp:

LAURENU2
04-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Some of the folks that were not in a team decided to join the underdogs...
Boy will they feel bad soon. :stomp:
I bet you they are just like me IB you know
I like Jumping in front of speeding Trains to:train:

Or maybe it is the smell of paint from the RK signs

:roadkill::roadkill:

Well I have gotten 4 Quads back online with new MB's
But I think the 5th Quad CPU died I will have to look into it more
And found a X2 that needs a new MB to
So If I get the 2 empty spaces filled :D I might get 46K a day:thumbs:

IronBits
04-29-2009, 10:46 PM
You are hitting the scales now at nearly 900 per hour :scared:

LAURENU2
04-29-2009, 10:52 PM
You are hitting the scales now at nearly 900 per hour :scared:
Are you implying I should go on a diet:rotfl:
Ya I have been hitting 1900+ per-update for a day now
and even you have a Target painted on your Butt
10 Days till you smell the paint of the RK sign:roadkill:

IronBits
04-29-2009, 11:10 PM
That's ok, you are warning me, I hear the whistle blowing, so I'll move quickly to get out of the way.
No harm no foul, just do it :rock:

PCZ
04-30-2009, 02:28 AM
900 an hour is a LOT !!
Considering also that the N is getting larger as we progress thats some output.

Foz nice to see you onboard :thumbs:

Fozzie
04-30-2009, 05:04 AM
Grabbed another box only a single core but it all helps.

Anyone else up for a blast on this for May?:Pokes:

LAURENU2
04-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Opportunities
Rank ______Team ___________Score ____Average__ Daily Gain__ Days to Overtake
1 __Raiders of the Lost Primes _5,378,040 __26,939 ___35,549 _____52.39

LAURENU2
05-01-2009, 02:56 AM
:woot: Free-DC 78,250 today :woot:

:umm:And if my math is right:scratch: if we squeeze another 15K out
we will be 1st in 31 day:schweet:

Fozzie
05-01-2009, 08:27 AM
15K is a lot of extra to just squeeze out.

We would need to have everyone who has crunched NPLB to run it for the next month.

LAURENU2
05-01-2009, 09:26 AM
15K is a lot of extra to just squeeze out.

We would need to have everyone who has crunched NPLB to run it for the next month.

:bedtime:members :idea:

Beyond:Pokes:

Free-DC Mercenaries:Pokes:

Jokern3000:Pokes:

Kman1293:Pokes:

Bok:Pokes:

nuggetprime:Pokes:

paratima:Pokes:

Shish:Pokes:

Chuck:Pokes:

grobie:Pokes:

Wake up

IronBits
05-02-2009, 03:32 AM
That end date should start dropping soon.
My sieve jobs are finishing up and I'm putting those cores back on to NPLB.
32 cores should give us a nice boost eh? 7,000-8,000 more per day. :)
About half of that 16,000 you say we are slacking. :rock:
I think PCZ will be back to full steam in about another week, which will knock it down some more. :D
And I see some other Free-DC Team mates adding to the pile to :thumbs:

:eat: :cheers: :eat:

alpha
05-02-2009, 04:27 AM
I'm just finishing off some POEM work units and I'll be on board.

I might need to clean out some cases and lower some overclocks, prime hunting pushes my temps much higher than OGR or protein folding.

em99010pepe
05-02-2009, 08:03 AM
The team woke me up. Soon I'll be putting my cores under 9000 port.

IronBits
05-02-2009, 09:28 AM
I've moved some of my cores to Ports 4000 and 5000.
So, if you observed my output for Port 8000 falling, that is why.
All the work I do, no matter what port I run on, counts in the stats scores :)
Needed to balance out the work each Server is doing.

Go Team Go!
:eat: :cheers: :smoking: :crazy:

alpha
05-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Which port is giving work which takes the longest to crunch? I'd like to keep network usage to a minimum.

IronBits
05-02-2009, 11:19 AM
All about the same with the exception of Port 9000, which are very fast work units and not part of the Top-5000 primes.
You can set your WUCacheSize to more than 1.
Edit llr-clientconfig.txt and try
WUCacheSize = 10
I wouldn't go above that if you don't have to.

alpha
05-02-2009, 12:36 PM
But it will still report each result as soon as the work unit completes, right?

IronBits
05-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Dunno, but, if it only fetches every 10, then you have cut 1/2 the bandwidth right?

alpha
05-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Hmm. Looking at a console as the client works, it looks like it sends each result straight after the work unit finishes, and immediately replenishes the cache. So it keeps a constantly full cache, rather than running it dry and then filling it up again.

It's no trouble though, just something I need to bear in mind. Crunch on. :thumbs:

PCZ
05-02-2009, 02:54 PM
ALL
If you are watching the port 8000 stats and you notice some members stats dropping, please do not assume they have reduced there participation.

Some resources need to be shifted to ports 4000 and 5000 to even things up a bit.

Great work everyone, port 8000 is at nearly 600k now.

Digital Parasite
05-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Hmm. Looking at a console as the client works, it looks like it sends each result straight after the work unit finishes, and immediately replenishes the cache. So it keeps a constantly full cache, rather than running it dry and then filling it up again.

Yes the caching sucks, it queues up 10 WUs but it is only really useful if you lose your network connection temporarily, it always uploads results immediately and downloads a new WU when done as well so doesn't save any bandwidth. :mad:

IronBits
05-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Gotcha. The cache protects you from network outages, which is a good thing at least.

LAURENU2
05-03-2009, 05:10 AM
All your primes belong to me.
PCZ you must have a hole in your pocket I found a few primes laying around:rotfl:

em99010pepe
05-03-2009, 05:21 AM
If NPLB decides to add to the stats all manual work done so far I expect that, although Free-DC has a lot of work done by me and Beyond, Free-DC won't take 1st place by the end of the month.

Carlos

IronBits
05-03-2009, 05:32 AM
Offline work will not be included in the online stats system.
It will be imported into the database to make it complete, and to make sure we don't miss anything.

Offline and Online is like Apples and Oranges.

There should be a combined offline+online per user totals, with it's own stats tables.

When it comes to the online Server processing and stats that we have now, it should stay the same.

Besides, if we were to catch up to their offline totals, the next thing you know they would want to start adding up sieving credits to. ;)

em99010pepe
05-03-2009, 05:52 AM
I know but they still have more sieve points than Free-DC. Anyway, they are doing something I said more than one year ago. I am always right...lol Back to cleaning my room!

Carlos

LAURENU2
05-03-2009, 06:41 PM
If NPLB decides to add to the stats all manual work done so far I expect that, although Free-DC has a lot of work done by me and Beyond, Free-DC won't take 1st place by the end of the month.

Carlos
I don't understand Free-DC is due to take 1st in 37 days and we are just getting started:confused:
Why so negative:Pokes:

IB
I see you about to get :stomp: -ed by vaughan Don't fret I will :stomp: for you :thumbs:

PCZ
05-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Lauren

Not all the work that is done on the NPLB project is visible in the stats at the moment.
The automated work that most are doing on the LLRNET servers is.

It has been proposed that credit be given for work done manually.
This is a valid request, work is work after all.

However the timing of this is well off as Free-DC has a head of steam up and are focused on an overtake in a month or so.

Not too worry though the additional credit will not be given for quite some time, so we can go ahead and overtake them, build up a lead. and then we wont care if they get a few points added.

IB
Personally i think if the project wants to include sieving credit we should support that proposal.
We have done a fair bit recently :)

LAURENU2
05-03-2009, 09:29 PM
I see I guess I did not fully understand em99010pepe post :blush:

Max Dettweiler
05-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Yeah, as PCZ said. :) The plan is to not enable the additional manual data in the stats until at least sometime in June, after the PoTM push is long complete and you guys have had time to savor your victory. ;)

BTW, Free-DC has a lot of manual work under their belt, too: Carlos and Beyond both put in quite a lot in the early days of the project. So, ROLP will by no means be the only team to benefit from inclusion of manual results in the stats. :)

Angus
05-04-2009, 10:27 PM
What is this "manual work" ?

IronBits
05-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Reserve ranges manually by asking in the Forum.
Run the work offline. Send the results to Gary when finished.

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=9890

LAURENU2
05-04-2009, 11:33 PM
Opportunities
Rank --Team ----------------Score----- Average-- Daily Gain -Days to Overtake
1-- Raiders of the Lost Primes -5,495,100 --28,087 -50,070---->> 31.88days
:thumbs: Outstanding Output Free-DC :thumbs:

PCZ
05-05-2009, 02:12 AM
Machines at home going down now.
I should be back up this evening.

Angus
05-05-2009, 02:43 AM

Can somebody please explain all that in English?
I thought NPLB was running the llrnet software?
Can't anyone in the project explain anything clearly about how this works?
That article is just :jabber::jabber::jabber::jabber::jabber::jabber::jabber: :jabber::jabber::jabber::jabber:

Never mind. I don't know why I even bother to ask.

IronBits
05-05-2009, 02:53 AM
Why don't you ask your questions on the project's forum?
Most of us get by with doing the online llrnet server stuff that you are already doing.
If you want to try doing it the manual way, then you should go ask the pros.
There is no simple answer, and will require reading and studying on your part to learn something new.
It's not a Boinc project that's for sure. ;)

Angus
05-05-2009, 03:05 AM
Why don't you ask your questions on the project's forum?
Most of us get by with doing the online llrnet server stuff that you are already doing.
If you want to try doing it the manual way, then you should go ask the pros.
There is no simple answer, and will require reading and studying on your part to learn something new.
It's not a Boinc project that's for sure. ;)

I have spent ALL EVENING reading on that forum, and I'm more confused than ever, and know less about what the whole thing is about.

How can they have so many sub-projects that all seem to be doing different things? I mean - aren't they just looking for prime numbers like 1,3,5,7,11,13 but really big ones?

LAURENU2
05-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Go IB Go
Boy neck and neck with vaughan
IronBits Free-DC 844,420
vaughan AMD Users 844,320
And IB starts to make his Move
Go IB Go

IronBits
05-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I have to shutdown 3 computers for a little re-arranging of computers for the summer. I should be all in again in about an hour or so.

Max Dettweiler
05-05-2009, 02:14 PM
What is this "manual work" ?

Yes, as IB said. It's mainly useful for users on dial-up or with machines that don't have internet access, though before we got LLRnet it was the primary mode of contribution for the project so it adds up to a pretty sizeable total score.

Edit: Ah, I just now saw your post requesting further clarification on this. (Man, those page cutoffs are rather annoying.) Here's how it works: we have ranges of k and n (the respective variables in the k*2^n-1 mathematical form for our numbers that we test for primality). The project, at this time, covers the entire range of k=300-2000, and n increases as we do more and more work.

Before the advent of LLRnet, the primary way people distributed tasks like this would be to have a forum post listing available ranges, with files containing the numbers to test (having been pre-screened by a process called "sieving" for candidates that had small factors and could be quickly removed) linked to. Each file would take anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks (depending on how big a range the file contained, and the speed of the user's machine). A user would post in the thread stating that they would like to reserve a certain file, download that file, and run it through a client application (the most commonly used one being LLR). The admins would edit the reservations table to mark that range as reserved by user x.

When the user was done with their range, they would take the results file produced by LLR, email it to the admins, and post in the forum saying that their range was complete. Rinse, lather, and repeat. :)

Once we set up an LLRnet server at NPLB, the manual system became rather outmoded. Still, it is often useful for offline computers and other such situations, so we continue to have manual work available. We integrate this with an LLRnet setup by "reserving" large ranges for the LLRnet servers, and then reporting back in the manual threads when a given range is complete.

Regarding why we have different "team drives" (subprojects, so to speak) for manual work: each of those team drives is for a different range of k and n. For example, Drive #5 covers k=400-600, n=600K-1M (currently testing at about n=670K). Last year we completed Drive #1, which did k=400-1001, n=333K-600K. Et cetera, et cetera. We generally have different LLRnet servers keyed to particular drives: for example, IB8000 (shorthand for nplb.ironbits.net port 8000) does the 10th Drive (and earlier on covered the now-complete 8th Drive, which the 10th Drive is an extension of). IB5000 does the 6th drive, IB4000 does the 5th, and...well, you get the picture. ;)

Hope this explains things a bit! :)

Max :)

IronBits
05-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Excellent explanation .
Because we are still migrating to the new domain for your project, everywhere you see nplb.ironbits.net, can be changed to your new domain of noprimeleftbehind.net.
The old address will still work so nobody has to run around and change all their client configurations.
Eventually, nplb.ironbits.net will go away, say in about a few months, so if you are starting up new, use the new domain name.
If you are stopping and starting clients, and you only have a handle full, you could use the new domain name instead. ;)

LAURENU2
05-07-2009, 10:37 AM
We did it:guntotin:
Opportunities
Rank -Team -----------------Score -----Average -Daily Gain -Days to Overtake
1 -Raiders of the Lost Primes 5,562,306 -25,865 ---60,122---- 23.88 Days:thumbs:

>>>>>>>>Go Team Go<<<<<<<<

Fozzie
05-07-2009, 12:16 PM
we need to keep up the same rate of closure for the next 24 days.

I hope we can all keep going.

:clap:

em99010pepe
05-07-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm back to port 9000 but only for 12 hours a day. I still can't run this for 24/7. Anyway, small candidates in there to test.

Carlos

LAURENU2
05-07-2009, 06:59 PM
A bit premature Lauren

I hope we can all keep going.

:clap:

I have never been;) A bit premature ask my wife :slap:

Well I guess I will just have to go to FULL Afterburners if need be
I could pump out another 10K a day in full Burn.

This is the last big Push of the 2009 Spring season After this it gets to :firedevil: here

IronBits
05-07-2009, 09:01 PM
It's looking really good so far! :cheers:
:rock:

vaughan
05-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Go IB Go
Boy neck and neck with vaughan
IronBits Free-DC 844,420
vaughan AMD Users 844,320
And IB starts to make his Move
Go IB Go

Sorry but I found another Quad to throw at NPLB.

IronBits
05-08-2009, 08:39 AM
:bang: It's all good :cheers:

LAURENU2
05-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Step aside you 2 a fast mover coming through
:train: :train: :evillaugh:

Fozzie
05-10-2009, 02:22 PM
we need more power.

Anyone else up for the scalp hunt this May.

:guntotin:

Angus
05-10-2009, 03:34 PM
A few days ago. no boot- not even a POST beep. :hair:

Shopping for replacement. This E8400 combo was new in October.:mad:

LAURENU2
05-10-2009, 04:11 PM
A few days ago. no boot- not even a POST beep. :hair:

Shopping for replacement. This E8400 combo was new in October.:mad:
was it a esc g31T-m MB ?

Angus
05-10-2009, 04:24 PM
was it a esc g31T-m MB ?

Intel brand MB DG35EC

(moved to Hardware forum - no need to clutter this up with my dead PC woes)

LAURENU2
05-12-2009, 12:36 AM
we need more power.

Anyone else up for the scalp hunt this May.

:guntotin:

Yes Fozzie is right We Need More Power
I have been in talks with Home Land Security to funnel a few more gigawatt's here to Chicago to handle my increase in output.
But I can only do so Much
Please if you can spare just a Bit of your power to help in this the Last Push of Spring 2009
Help Make Free-DC Proud

LAURENU2
05-19-2009, 07:51 PM
PCZ Knock Knock 1,327,429 :weggy: :D :beep:

PCZ
05-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Most of my soldiers have gone AWOL after hearing the noise of the approaching horde. :eek:

I'll have to try and round them up.

gd_barnes
05-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Free-DC won't even come close to ROLP by the end of the month on pairs processed score! They are 600,000+ behind with 6 days left and only putting out a paultry score of under 1,000 an hour now.

PCZ said it best. It looks like the soldiers have gone AWOL. Ha ha ha. :rotfl:

Gary

em99010pepe
06-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Free-DC won't even come close to ROLP by the end of the month on pairs processed score! They are 600,000+ behind with 6 days left and only putting out a paultry score of under 1,000 an hour now.

PCZ said it best. It looks like the soldiers have gone AWOL. Ha ha ha. :rotfl:

Gary

The demonstration of Free-DC CPU power is taking place in here (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=148).
:moon: