PDA

View Full Version : Socket 370 suggestions?

Hogger
11-11-2002, 11:10 AM
Yo,

I've got a Diamond Flower, 370 board, Via Apollo Pro133, (693A/ 686B) idle. It can accept up to 1GHz.

If I was only going to use it for W98se and the foldtraj client (Fold-It), $45 'll get me a Celeron 1GHz. Just slap that in? :rolleyes:

I'm not doing anything soon, maybe 3 or 4 weeks.

Thanks.

TheOtherZaphod
01-28-2003, 01:52 PM
I didn't look up your specific board, but yes, I think you have the right idea. You should probably get a 1Ghz Celeron FCPGA chip and NOT a FCPGA2 chip. So, look for one that says it has 128KB cache and not 256K. These are getting just a little harder to find, but are still in the price range you specified.

Hogger
01-28-2003, 05:47 PM
I *just* threw in a 900 mhz Via C3 I picked up a coupla weeks ago. Hah! The DFI board is a CA63-EN, accepts EEC memory and I've got 256 in it. I mean => just this morning.

The bridge set is not a troublefree set, from what I've been lead to believe. But I'm just trying out *nix, SuSE 8.1 (pers)and a 200mhz box was not getting it.

I do have another off-brand Socket 370 board so I may still nose around per your suggestion.

Thanks Zaphod

TheOtherZaphod
01-29-2003, 09:31 AM
You know I rarely, if ever, visit this section of the forums here, and it wasn't until after I replied that I realized how old the post was.

So anyway, how is the C3 running? You only ever read two things about C3 chips: they perform really poorly, but at least they don't get very hot doing it. :p

I am probably going to regret not buying a few 1Ghz and 1.1Ghz non-Tualatin celerons and sticking them in the parts closet. They have been pretty darn cheap for a while, and they are good end-of-life CPUs for a whole lot of motherboards.

Hogger
01-29-2003, 11:53 AM
The Via was on sale = I bought it. It was several $'s less than online. I didn't research it and can't say a whole lot. My -real- biggest thing is spending some bucks on broadband. For what I do, the phone is my biggest bottleneck. ;)