PDA

View Full Version : when will this project finish?

eatmadustch
11-23-2002, 06:28 PM
Hi everyone
can anyone give me a rough estimate when this project will be through the entire keyspace? I have heard that it will take longer than the age of the universe ... I don't really want to take part if that is the case!
Has this changed with the new version? How long is it expected to take now? How much of the keyspace have we been through already?

All answers apreciated!
EatMaDust

PY 222
11-23-2002, 06:47 PM
Well, we had a discussion regarding this topic when the project started. Here is the link in which you can read up on:

http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=1773

As you have found out, yes it will take a very looooong time to solve it using the current method that Neo is employing, which is some kind of random number testing. For all you know, you might be the lucky person to get the numbers and win some money and fame.

But last I read over at the Neo forums, Mike and the Neo Dev. team is coming out with a new algorithm. Not much news yet but hopefully magnav0x might provide more.

/me goes to search for magnav0x to explain this better....

eatmadustch
11-24-2002, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I know that at the beginning it would have taken so long, but that news article doesn't say anything about their new algorythm. Neo no longer does any random testing (unless your client is offline).
Also I was wondering how much longer the project will take now (will it be months, years, or even thousands of years) with the current rate!

Digital Parasite
11-24-2002, 09:54 AM
The original method that the Neo Project was(is) using would probably require more time than the age of the universe to complete so basically you will never find a solution.

They were contact by a mathematician about a new factoring method which is what they are talking about with the "new" algorithm. It turns out that the mathematician wasn't so hot and the new algorithm was no good so they scrapped that idea.

The latest news is that they are trying to research another algorithm. The only algorithm that really makes sense for what they are trying to do is the NFS algorithm and it will require a huge amount of work to learn how to use it and make the initial selections before they can even start to use it.

As is stands, the Neo project will probably never find a solution unless they change to a new algorithm that actually works and that won't likely happen any time soon since there is such a steep learning curve. Don't hold your breath.

Jeff.

Angus
11-24-2002, 12:21 PM
This is good! :D

An endless project - what a challenge !

It's all about stats, anyway :crazy:

PY 222
11-25-2002, 02:09 AM
I totally agree with you Angus.

Its all about the stats.

What can I say.... I am a stats whore. Gimme stats anytime of the day.:help: :help: