PDA

View Full Version : do DF structures make great Christmas gifts?

FoBoT
11-25-2002, 10:11 PM
:D

ok, my "technical" question is:

how is work credits to "XYZ handle"?

is the handle hidden inside the structure? or is it just in the file names of the .bz2 pairs?
or is it the handle.txt that is in the DF directory when the structures are uploaded?

i would like to know , not for nefarious purposes, but in order to offer a prize in a crunching contest.

since the handle is private, i don't see how i could ask the winner for their handle to crunch under, so i thought that if they can just upload the structures on their machine, or if they just have to put their handle into the .bz2 file names, then this idea would work

if the handle is somehow encoded into the .bz2 files which must then match the .bz2 file names, i don't think it will work :(

anyhow, a simple "yes, it can be done" or "no, the security features of DF preclude 'gifting' structures" would be helpful :)
thank you

m0ti
11-26-2002, 08:50 AM
I can't quite remember FoBoT, and am not currently at a DF "enabled" computer.

It's really simple though. Just open up the bz2 file and take a look. If I remember correctly only the first couple of lines have standard text info (the rest is all numbers). The handle (if it's in there (I can't remember)) will be in those lines.

However the handle does appear in the name of the file, and obviously as well in handle.txt.

You could upload somebody else's structs by copying over their files (including filelist.txt) and handle.txt and running the client. That's just an educated guess though.

Could we get a confirmation?

pfb
11-26-2002, 10:15 AM
the handle appears to be in the logfile per val file - it's part of the 'Structure File Base Name' string (well, on my installs it is)...:)

Brian the Fist
11-26-2002, 10:41 AM
You would need to know the other users handle to upload as him/her, and you should not know anyone's handle except your own, for their own security. Do not give your handle to someone else for any reason, or you may be blamed for their actions...

FoBoT
11-26-2002, 06:22 PM
right, which is why i would need to change my handle in all the right places to a "fake" handle, then ftp/cdrom them the "gift" structures, then they would have to put their own valid private handle back into all the right places and then send them up to the DF server themselves

hmmm, seems complicated

never mind, i will just offer some hardware or something instead