PDA

View Full Version : Chain Equipment Box

MrTRS
01-22-2002, 08:09 PM
Chain Equipment Box

I propose that we implement a Chain Equipment Box.

The concept that I am proposing is that someone (me, to start it off) package up a small box of computer hardware and list the contents on this forum. Someone would volunteer to receive this box, thinking they might be able to use some number of the contents. The chain box starter (me) would ship the box via USPS, probably under $10, to the volunteer recipient.

Now to the chain part. This recipient would take whatever he/she wanted to use from the box and maybe add an item or two and then re-list the contents on the forum again. Where someone would volunteer to receive the box for a second time. And on and on.

Now for my part, I would not expect any compensation for this service. I would be recycling hardware and keeping it out of the landfill. (A good thing) But if someone found the contents especially useful they could donate some WUs to the shippers favorite DC project. Or if really moved they could send bucks to the shipper's PayPal account.

It seems to me that this proposal would be best implemented if it were left open and flexible. What I mean is that if somewhere along the way someone found a use for most of the contents of the box then I would have no problem with that person stopping or temporarily halting the mailing of the box until more useful components were accumulated.

What I need now is some feedback. Is this too much trouble for a handful of out of date computer parts? I run three computers at home and do DC'ing just to use my idle cycles. All the hardware I have is very out of date and left over from two or three DIY boxes from the last two or three years.

I live in a large metropolitan area where there is a large PC user group (the largest in the world). I have been to their office and seen their donated PC hardware room. It is large and very dusty. I don't think they will ever find people to give it all too. So it is my feeling that if I donate to this group, my donation will set and gather dust until the time they decide to clean it all out. (Hello landfill).

I have asked my local high school if they could use some parts. They want only complete working systems. The local ISD does have a relationship with the PC user group, but I'm not privy to if it is beneficial to either group.

Feedback anyone?