PDA

View Full Version : Few questions...

Alpha_7
11-27-2002, 07:31 AM
Please people... I need some help if you can offer it..

I am helping a mate set up some machines in a new office his opening... I'm familar with the networking side of things, hardware and getting the thing up and running.. lots of pratice at school, uni and most of all running lans.

But they have some business software they want to run off a main server.. this is a very small network 3 clients and a server...

but I am a little worried, or confused on how I setup the server, so that the 3 clients can run the software from it...

I probably need heaps more details but at the moment, I dont have them to offer.. but I'll try...

The clients are all identical, the server is just a slightly beefier version, more HD space, and more ram.

Is just over a 10mb network, and the OS in Win2k.

Thanks for your help!

Alpha_7

whilden@ars
11-27-2002, 08:27 AM
Without going into details and being as basic as possible!

I would first install the "server side" of the business software on the server to say the D:\.

Go to each of the other 3 workstations on your peer-peer network and map a drive letter to the installed business software location on your server/"beefy workstation" (will use K:\), make sure those drive mappings are set to reconnect on each login..

Install "client side" software on each workstation and when asked for location of server side software simply put K:\"location of business software".

Thats the way I have always done it for those little baby companies that you can ummm take larges amounts of money from. I do hope that made a bit sense.

Alpha_7
11-27-2002, 08:43 AM
Thanks... Thats how I was hoping to get away with it...

will just have to wait and see what kind of software they really need... its for a realestate business, so I really have no idea what they will be using...

IronBits
11-27-2002, 09:03 AM
I would take it to 100mb lan ASAP. I have done what you are talking about, even with only 3 users, you will need it as it loads everything from the Server into memory of the Workstation. 10mb will make it feel sluggish.

Alpha_7
11-27-2002, 09:44 AM
Well they were planning on using a old 16port 10mb hub, but if it becomes a problem, I'll try my 8 port Netgear switch, and substitute it. I guess it will be a pretty dependant on how often the software will be used, and how big the programs are. I was told before it was meant to be very low traffic, but will see how we go. :) / Thanks for the advice.