PDA

View Full Version : Is this an out of memory Error message?

gripen
11-30-2002, 08:04 PM
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~dvorak/error.png

I got this message when I tried to play a windows media player video while folding in quiet mode & priority 0.

:help:

Brian the Fist
12-01-2002, 01:53 AM
that is correct.

gripen
12-01-2002, 11:16 AM
I see, thanks for replying.. :thumbs:
btw is it possible to recover any structures if this happens?

Brian the Fist
12-01-2002, 12:27 PM
Yes, there is instructions somewhere in this forum on how to upload 'orphaned' files, perhaps someone who knows where can kindly point it out to you.

Paratima
12-01-2002, 01:23 PM
See discussion here (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1692) . Unfortunately, the teamstirfry.com site is currently down for major reorganization. Wait for it to come back up. Or maybe someone has those directions on another site? Speak up!

The important bit, assuming you have the file-pairs mentioned, is correctly building the filelist.txt.

Anarchy99
01-18-2003, 12:51 AM
you mean this:

Making filelist.txt for foldtrajlite (the Distibuted Folding client)
If you run Distributed Folding (DF) with the -df (large buffer) switch, your client may cache a large number of *.val.bz2 and *.log.bz2 files if it is unable to upload them to the server for an extended period of time. The purpose of the filelist.txt file is to record these cached files, and to maintain a list of the files that need to be uploaded the next time the client is able to contact the server. While this seems all well and good, what may actually happen if your client has trouble uploading them due to server load, network conditions, etc, is that your filelist.txt may be deleted, or trimmed down to only include a few files. The client will then upload those few files and the rest will remain on your hard drive while the client continues producing and uploading new work. I suspect this is done to lighten the load on the server, but the result is: Lost work for you!
This small guide is aimed at providing an easy way to rebuild a filelist.txt file so that your client will upload those "orphaned" structure files. These directions are written for Windows NT/2K, but probably work on Windows 9x/ME as well.
Open a command prompt or MS-DOS window (start >> run >> cmd is my favorite way to get there).
Switch to the directory where your DF install is. cd \distribfold is where I keep mine.
Type dir *.bz2 /B /O-D > filelist.txt
Note: On Linux/Unix you can do it this way: ls -t *.bz2 > filelist.txt
You should now have a file in your DF directory named filelist.txt and it should contain a list of all of your "orphaned" work files. See notes below for an explaination of what all those switches in that command do.
Open filelist.txt in your favorite text editor.
Look for a line with rotlib.bin.bz2 on it. Delete that line.
Next, notice how most of the files are "paired". One .log.bz2 file, then one .val.bz2 file on the next line. Look all down through the list, to be sure that each two lines is a "pair". It's common to have extra .val files, usually near the end of the filelist.txt. If you have some extras, remove them, but be sure to leave the one directly below the last .log file!
That's pretty much it. You're ready to close and save your file, and begin an upload.
Important: Be sure to use the -df in the foldit.bat file. Without the -df, the client will not upload more than 6 pairs and if you have more than 6 pairs, the rest will be deleted!
When you have no more .log.bz2 files to upload, you have no more finished work. IF there are extra .val.bz2 files remaining, they are safe to delete. Good Luck!
Explaination of the dir command given above for those interested:
All of this info can be found in the help info by typing dir /?
*.bz2 - Obviously, we only want to list the .bz2 files.
/B - Cuts off the dates, file sizes, etc. Only lists filename.
/O-D - Orders the list by DATE. The "-" means reverse order. This is done because the .val are created before the .log, and they need to be the other way (.log then .val) in the filelist.txt.
> filelist.txt - Instead of output to the screen, we write the results of the dir command to the file.
For further info, have a look in this thread on the official project forum. In that thread, it is described by Howard Feldman which is one of the persons behind the projects.

gripen
01-18-2003, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the instructions Anarchy99, your help is greatly appreciated. :notworthy

Anarchy99
01-18-2003, 11:31 AM
any time, no problem, glad to help, whatever I can do, good to be of assistance, you want it you got it:rotfl: