PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody doing a "Monster" project for Free-DC?

MrTRS
12-03-2002, 02:02 PM
Is anybody doing a "Monster" project for Free-DC?

You know, like 2 or 3 guys are doing over at Ars?

The reason I ask is that I will soon upgrade (This Month) one of my home machines. And I might see my self donating a board and proc to a project if anybody was doing something like that around here?

Ray

Darkness Productions
12-03-2002, 03:18 PM
Sounds like you're offering :cheers:

PY 222
12-03-2002, 04:18 PM
I would donate some stuff that I have lying around for a "Monster Pharm" crunching under the banner of Free-DC!

MrTRS
12-03-2002, 06:20 PM
Sounds like you're offering

No, I'm not offering. But I sure wish I was in a position to do it.

The wiring in the room I'm using for my home office/computer room will not let me run more than 3 computers and the air conditioning at the same time.

And I live in Houston. Air is a must sometimes 6 months a year.

So, that is why I asked if some one was already doing something along those lines.

Maybe we could discuse some of the issues involved and maybe someone may deside to take it on.

Ray

MrTRS
12-04-2002, 09:48 AM
Here is a link so you'all can look at some monsters.

http://ws9.jobnegotiator.com/html/flinks.html

Ray

MrTRS
12-17-2002, 01:38 PM
The ideal DC farm.

Location, Location, Location:

I would think that someone who lived in a northern cool/cold climate could run a DC farm and save some money on case/cpu cooling because of the natural cool/cold temperature. Couldn't this someone leave windows open in the computer room in order to cool down the cases/cpus? I wonder how cold the temp could get before it would cause a problem with the running of the computer?

Ray

Darkness Productions
12-17-2002, 02:25 PM
*Really* cold, considering that people have used Liquid Nitrogen to cool their CPUs (granted, not for very long). The bigger issue is condensation (good old H2O) getting on the parts.

MrTRS
12-17-2002, 04:55 PM
Ok, it looks like this DC farm can go all winter with the windows open.

Next is cost of power. In Texas power cost about average. Aprox. $.08 per kw/hour. CA is out of the question but how much does power cost up north?

Ray

Auritania
12-18-2002, 08:31 AM
$0.1149 /kWh in NY.

MrTRS
12-20-2002, 01:00 PM
All right now!

I guess the next step is to find someone in the Northern tier of states who has room in their house/apt for a number of computers. And is willing to leave a window open most of the winter.

Ok start the list right here;

SAK
12-22-2002, 07:32 PM
Yeh, monsters/crackracks are fun as heck :D

I'm currently trying to work on my "computer lair" in my room. I basically keep 3-4 systems in a crawlspace type thing to limit noise. After I do a little work on it, and insulate it, I'm going to duct outside air into it. This is only good for the winter of course. I live northern IL (Rockford) so it does get rather chilly ;)

I'm not in the position to volunteer for it yet, but would do if it becomes possible.

btw, that page with all those "monsters" is friggin awesome! :shocked:

MrTRS
12-23-2002, 09:45 AM
SAK,

Cool, pun intended.

Thanks for considering the project. Keep us informed about your preperations for your computer "lair".

Maybe we can use "lair" in the name of the project. And I would think we would need to use "Free-DC" in the name also.

Suggestions?

Ray

MrTRS
12-23-2002, 09:55 AM
You all might have noticed that I used "we" in the previous post.

My thinking is that when and if we can get someone to host a "monster" for Free-DC then "we" can support this someone by several means.

The first thing I am thinking about would be to donate upgrade surplus hardware to the project.

Of course the hosting person would take on the cost of power and shelter for the project but that doesn't mean we as a group couldn't try to off-set some of that cost by cash donations. Maybe a PayPal account.

Comments?

Ray

MrTRS
01-27-2003, 09:42 AM
The position of "Free-DC Monster Farmer" is still open and up for grabs.

This really is just a bump for more readers.

Steve_Watkins
01-30-2003, 12:32 AM
What part of Houston do you live in Ray?

Here is a picture of my new Monster Room :D

Steve

IronBits
01-30-2003, 12:40 AM
Very nice Steve!!!
:notworthy

Paratima
01-30-2003, 01:28 AM
If Steve does it, I can see it now:

23 Celerons
14 XP's
7 Durons
2 Xeons

...all powered by one Silent Power 330-watt power supply! :jester:

Dyyryath
01-30-2003, 05:03 AM
That's the beginnings of a nice looking setup Steve! :thumbs:

MrTRS
01-30-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Steve_Watkins
What part of Houston do you live in Ray?

Steve

Oak Forest, Ella and 34th st area.
Please feel free to contact me "trs at houston.rr.com"

Ray

Steve_Watkins
01-30-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by MrTRS
Oak Forest, Ella and 34th st area.
Please feel free to contact me "trs at houston.rr.com"

Ray

I live in the Richmond area and work in the champions area.

Steve_Watkins
01-30-2003, 09:44 PM
I am working hard on my new server room. I just built the desk that will hold the monitors and keyboards. It is located in the room just to the right of the blue server cabinet. Soon as I have some time I will show you pictures of that area.

I had to redesign the area because I wanted to place a large screen TV in the main portion of the Addon. I had to take a little area from my computer operation and I think I did a great job of fitting everything into the space I had :D

Here is a picture of the repair/build area of the server room. I took this picture standing between the Black and Blue server cabinets. This area is almost finished, all I have left to do is make the doors and drawers for the cabinets.

MrTRS
01-30-2003, 10:58 PM
Steve,

That all looks great! It looks like a lot of time and energy went in to design and execution of the project.

It looks like you may be finished in the next little while. How about an "open house" party when you get to where you want to show it off.

I would be proud to bring a "house warming" gift.

How about an old AMD board and CPU?

Color me Green with envy.

Ray

cygnussphere
01-31-2003, 09:50 AM
Face frame cabinets, adjustable shelf inserts, and a nice Crown molding for effect :thumbs:
Computing with architectural style I think I'm going to have to fire up the table saw:D

RacerX
02-04-2003, 07:51 PM
Well, if anyone was interested in donating stuff. I live in the middle of the mountains and have two extra rooms we could load up with stuff and run with the windows open. Maybe put a fan in there and I could heat the house with the CPU's instead of cutting all that firewood. Not only that I have two neighbors with their service panels on the outside of their houses. I bet I could do a stealth mode wiring job and just reroute abit of their extra wattage over my way without anyone knowing. :D :D

MrTRS
02-05-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by RacerX
Well, if anyone was interested in donating stuff. I live in the middle of the mountains and have two extra rooms we could load up with stuff and run with the windows open. Maybe put a fan in there and I could heat the house with the CPU's instead of cutting all that firewood. Not only that I have two neighbors with their service panels on the outside of their houses. I bet I could do a stealth mode wiring job and just reroute abit of their extra wattage over my way without anyone knowing. :D :D

Wow, thanks RacerX for stepping up to the plate.

Now before we go any further lets think of some of the ramifications of starting a DC farm for any project, much less Free-DC.
You will have to mail/or post your mailing address thru the internet in some way. A lot of people would think this is giving up some privacy.
You said you lived in the mountains, does that mean rural mail delivery? Are you going to be "put out" (extra effort) every time somebody ships you an old board or a power supply?
Are you going to try to do all the networking that will be required and then connect via dial-up?

Enquiring minds want to know?
Ray

MrTRS
02-13-2003, 04:16 PM
"Bump"

magnav0x
02-15-2003, 11:11 PM
I would be able to accomidate such a projects as well if the team was interested. I have the bandwith, time and plenty of space to accomodate such a project. I'm near Dallas, TX and have a large 12x20 room I could dedicated to such a project....has 5 windows :cheers: I could get a photo of the room for you guys if you are actualy interested in doing such a thing. I could build some cabinets no problem.

*edit* I actualy have a larger area that could be used as well. I have a very large room above my garage that is used for nothing which could be used as well with even more windows.

IronBits
02-16-2003, 12:54 AM
Dayum! :scared: :D
:cheers: Nice!

MrTRS
02-16-2003, 10:41 AM
Wow, two people are thinking of taking the project on. While they go over the details of their planning, why don't we start a new thread in a different forum?

See:http://free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2559