PDA

View Full Version : New Client .517

magnav0x
12-04-2002, 02:28 PM
Well, yesterday's .516 client seemed like a waste of bandwidth, but the new .517 client that was released today seems like a giant leap for the project! Optimization for both AMD and Intel have been greatly increased.

AMD Duron 1073mhz box was running 3.9 million mop/s with .515, now it's running 4.8 million mops with .517

Intel Pentium 4 Mobile 1.6 ghz war running 2.9 million mop/s with .515, now it's running 4.9 million mops with .517.

Lost work units have been a major issue throughout the past of the project. All reports of uploading with .517 are very positive. The only loss I've seen so far was a guy who uploaded 12,000 WU's and didn't get credit for 2 of them :cry:

I've upgraded, and things are looking great, I would advise that those who haven't done so yet, go out and grab it :thumbs:

Time for Free-DC to get back in the swing of things, our production has been awful the past week :moon:

PY 222
12-05-2002, 02:50 AM
I did not flush my large queues for fear of losing more workunits. Now that I hear .517 takes care of that problem, I will give it a try....

You will hear from me soon :thumbs:

rus6
12-05-2002, 04:57 AM
I'm not so sure about the speed up...

My Dell P4 1.7G seems to be doing 2.7 MOPS on win2k, nothing else is running (ver .517)

:swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:

magnav0x
12-05-2002, 10:59 AM
2.7 million mop/s? Youch!

Have you tryed to reboot the machine after installing the new client. My P4 is running WinXP, so you should be right at or higher (Win2k has less overhead) than my numbers. I'm still disappointed my puiny Duron box is crunching as fast as my P4, I still think the Intel optimization code could be written better :smoking:.

BTW, I found a nice little tweak for the Neo client. Turns out it runs a it faster when stored in memory unlike other DC projects. I used Ramdisk Pro to create a small ramdisk on my system...copyed the contents of the Neo Client folder over to the ramdisk drive and executed the client. Instant 200k mop/s improvment (this was on my Duron box with 512mb DDR)

rus6
12-06-2002, 08:01 AM
I tried using a ramdisk on my home Dual PIII 866 machine and it seemed to speed things up now 2.13MOP/s per CPU :D , I guess it speeds up all the file writes...

The P4 machine's still struggling along, I haven't tried rebooting it yet, but i'll give it a go when I get a chance...

PY 222
12-06-2002, 02:38 PM
One thing is for sure, the .517 client is way better when handling large workunit flushes!

That, I am impressed. Good job Neo Team.

Now, go ahead and give us a new algorithm to crunch with :thumbs: