PDA

View Full Version : Fearure Request

Darkness Productions
12-06-2002, 01:05 PM
Is there any way that for the console only clients (Linux/BSD/etc) that we could get it to display the current cEMs/sec like in the windows client? I came up with a script at one time that would do this (somewhat accurately), but it was a pain.

Is this possible, or should I just sit back and be happy that I can crunch anything?

Emporor
12-06-2002, 01:39 PM
I wondered if there was any way to run this client in an offline mode, or by having computers without internet access save results to a file or something, for upload from another computer. Just wondering, and I realize this probably isnt a priority.

Mystwalker
12-06-2002, 02:06 PM
Well, you could turn off "Transmit intermediate blocks". Then you let the PC work until it's near(?) 100%, close the program and copy the "z<n value>" file to a PC with internet connection. There you finish the n and send it to the server.

When you take the almost finished value from the offline PC, you can give him new work, too.

How to exchange

I don't know how it is handled with the non-Windows clients (AFAIR it's easier there), so I can only give you the way you have to do it in Windows. When there's need for further instruction, I guess others can fill the gaps. :)

Here we go:
Write down the k and n values. Well, at least the k value. Then you open regedit and change the keys in HKLM/SOFTWARE/LhDn/sob/cache. Make sure you enter them in dec, not on hex. ;)
Same with the other PC - et voilą, nous sommes finnis. :D

Hint:
As no blocks are transmitted to the server, you have to transfer the work to an internet-capable PC within 2 weeks, or that value gets assigned to another person.

smh
12-06-2002, 02:27 PM
I did this a few times, by exporting the registry key and importing it on the other machine.

It worked great with N's well over 2M, but current tests are to short. Even my PIII 450 does them well within a day so it gets to troublesome. I might do it again when it takes a couple of days to test a single number.

Currentely i use that pc to sieve K=4847, and i'm removing N's at a much faster rate then i can test them.

Mystwalker
12-06-2002, 02:50 PM
Exporting the key... Damn, I'm stupid!

Thx, smh. That will speed up those things a lot. :cheers:

Yeah, it will be some work to exchange the work every couple of hours, but if it's a quick thing to do, it was a way to bring another PC into SB...

Firebirth
12-06-2002, 03:40 PM
I haven't tried it, but I guess, for Linux, that if you copy the z?????? file and the file named cache, to a fresh directory on any other Linux machine, would make SB start from where it got to on the initial machine...

smh
12-06-2002, 05:18 PM
It is fairly quick, just export the cache key on both pc's, exit the client and copy the reg and save files to the other pc, run the reg and start the client.

You can do this shortely after a pc that can connect to the server starts a test. You don't have to wait until the test is almost done (so you can do it whenever you've got time to do it), as long as you make sure the pc thats connected to the internet finnishes it's test first.

If you do it the correct way, you don't have to reserve an extra block that will expire after two weeks.

At the moment it's just to troublesome, and sinds that pc is sieving, it does contribute to the project (although without credit, and it won't for sure find a prime). When tests are over 2M i guess i can add that pc again.

Emporor
12-06-2002, 05:25 PM
thanks for your help, I will probably just wait until the values get a little larger before I got through that kind of trouble. Maybe by then I can figure out how to automate this.