jjjjL
12-11-2002, 02:15 AM
#4 is as sweet as any yet. :)

I'll just steal Dave's announcement from the page:

----------------------------------------------------------------

k = 69109: FOURTH PRIME FOUND!
(posted by david norris)
Tuesday, 10 Dec 2002

At 0057 GMT on 7 December 2002, SB's fourth prime discovery was reported to the block server! The prime, 69109?2^1157446+1, has been verified, and it's the largest yet, weighing in at 348,431 digits. This places it as the 17th largest prime ever discovered.

Congratulations to Sean DiMichele (SeanD) of team Anandtech, whose 2.2 GHz P4 machine reported the prime after 3 hours 36 minutes of computation.

Great work, everyone, and remember: the next one could be you!

----------------------------------------------------------------

-Louie

smh
12-11-2002, 03:14 AM
So the website was right, stating that there were 4 primes found.:)

It looks like the server is still assigning numbers of the just eliminated K :eek:

:|party|: :jester: :|party|: :jester: :thumbs:

Confused
12-11-2002, 04:12 AM
Congrats Sean! :D

Woohoo a member of Anandtech got the prime! :D

Now to just set up a script so i can keep track of the user's progress on Anandtech, and for me to keep track of new members! ;):)

Confused

jjjjL
12-11-2002, 04:13 AM
smh - yeah, the extra test for k=69109 were just removed a few seconds ago. not that i'm blaming anyone, but it's totally your fault that i just removed them now after what you did on prime #2. ;)

actually, in the grand scheme of things, there are worse problems to have than doing a few extra tests on k values we find primes for. dave and i are still busy on a lot of things far more critical than finding covert ways to remove tests while contacting users.

but now isn't the time to worry about all that... now is the time to celebrate! good work everyone.

:cheers:

-Louie

smh
12-11-2002, 04:31 AM
smh - yeah, the extra test for k=69109 were just removed a few seconds ago. not that i'm blaming anyone, but it's totally your fault that i just removed them now after what you did on prime #2.

Ha ya man, so sorry ;-)
It was #3 btw (IIRC)

Maybe after things settle down a bit you might be able to write a script that makes it look like tests of the just elliminated K are still assigned, while the aren't.

Tax Bracket
12-11-2002, 07:19 AM
:cheers: TOB Project... :cheers:

Oh dear, heading rapidly towards the 'NOB' project (nine or bust)

:jester: :rotfl: :jester:

Mystwalker
12-11-2002, 08:12 AM
Not long, and the project will be SB again... Seven or Bust :jester:

Let's hope the other K's get sorted out as fast as the last 4 did. :cheers:

whilden@ars
12-11-2002, 10:40 AM
Congrats on the 4th Prime

Next one goes to Ars, hey its only fair! :cheers:

shifted
12-11-2002, 03:55 PM
No, the next one goes to me ;)

tqft
12-12-2002, 04:15 AM
convince the windows client to stop processing 69109 and start anew

ps my machine is not continuosly connected, if=s there anyway to force a manual connect to serve and exchange results?

eatmadustch
12-12-2002, 12:15 PM
the easiest way to do it is to change your username, sob then asks you if you want to clear the cache due to submission problems. Then you can click on yes, and then change your name back again!
I know this isn't the standard version, but it's the quickest and easiest.

How about a function "clear the cache" in the next version of sob?

jjjjL
12-12-2002, 04:07 PM
if you do that, someone else will just have to do that block again as i am not actively seeking out the blocks that were pending when the prime was found.

clearing your cache will just create more work for someone else later.

-Louie

Samidoost
12-14-2002, 07:58 AM
David, Louie

Why didn't you submit the primes in Caldwell's list?
You can enter all except the 3rd, for which the discoverer is not yet discovered.

Just click
http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/cgi/submit/proths.cgi

Payam

PS. congratulations for the 4th, waiting for the 5th

kugano
12-14-2002, 09:07 AM
Actually, I did submit them. I emailed Chris quite a while ago, and never got a response. Any secrets on how to get hold of him?

kugano
12-14-2002, 10:39 AM
Payam,

I am the other creator of Seventeen or Bust. I wrote the code for the website and the SB server. You emailed me last night about the misprint on our news page ("... is, in fact, EVEN!") :-)

http://www.seventeenorbust.com/help/about.mhtml

I am Dave / David / danorris / kugano.

tqft
12-15-2002, 03:00 AM
to answer my own question

when processing has finished
stop
exit

make sure your are connected to internet

restart application

smh
12-18-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by kugano
Actually, I did submit them. I emailed Chris quite a while ago, and never got a response. Any secrets on how to get hold of him?

Still no sign of the primes.

Did you use the right e-mail address?
I did see him reply on one of the Yahoo mailing lists so he's reading his mail.

Maybe sending another e-mail will help? Otherwise the primes never get in there.

jjjjL
12-18-2002, 03:10 PM
smh - Caldwell was just busy and is now in contact with us. He's going to put them in the database shortly.

I've mentioned this before, but from now on lets stop with needless posts worrying that SB will somehow never get their primes recognized. I swear I've made like 6 posts explaining this before. It's a real drag reading my own forum just to see people second guessing my ablities to email someone. ;)

So no need to worry everyone, the primes are going in the database very soon.

-Louie

Mystwalker
12-19-2002, 06:04 AM
Tell us the truth:

You've just realized what that strange 'send' button is for. :jester:

smh
12-26-2002, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by jjjjL
smh - Caldwell was just busy and is now in contact with us. He's going to put them in the database shortly.

I've mentioned this before, but from now on lets stop with needless posts worrying that SB will somehow never get their primes recognized. I swear I've made like 6 posts explaining this before. It's a real drag reading my own forum just to see people second guessing my ablities to email someone. ;)

So no need to worry everyone, the primes are going in the database very soon.

-Louie

Louie,

Sorry to bring this up again, but apparentely there has been some miscomunication somewere.

On the Primenumbers (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/primenumbers/message/10466) mailing list Chris Caldwell wrote about the submissions of the primes:

They have not been yet. I am waiting for the creation of accounts
or permission to do it for them; and I am waiting to find out what
program was used to prove primality. I am not sure why there
has been no answer.

Chris.

smh
12-26-2002, 10:14 AM
And in a second mail to the same list:

Let me be even more specific. The have indeed been given prover codes
(SB1, SB2, ...) but codes are useless unless there are biographical
entries to own them. The idea is the SoB project would have its
entry (like GIMPS...). My suggestion was to use the name

Louis Helm and David Norris' "Seventeen or Bust"

and the sort (lastname)

SB

then I would change whatever code was assigned by the machine to
the 'wildcode' ^SB\d+ (that is, it would own SB1, SB2, ...)
The appropriate code would also be given to the prover. Norris
seemed to like this idea.

I even offered to create all these entries for them (though most people
fortunately do it themselves using

http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/cgi/submit/proths.cgi .)

But I never got a response to the offer, or the question what
program was used to prove primality (obviously important to me).

I have never encountered this problem before. I assume
I will get an answer eventually, or perhaps I'll just make one up,
because the numbers need to be on the list--and soon!

Chris Caldwell

jjjjL
12-26-2002, 04:40 PM
smh - omg i can't believe you would post this here. i thought i made it clear that i never wanted you to post about this ever again.

it took Chris Caldwell a long long time to get back to us so i don't understand why he is in a big rush now that it is the holidays and Dave and I are deprived of our normal computers and email access.

please, don't ever post about this ever again. it frustrates me to no end to have you second guessing me every other day. please. stop. :(

-Louie

smh
12-26-2002, 05:02 PM
Thanks for this very nice message.:mad:

I replied to you via private e-mail

nuutti
12-26-2002, 05:13 PM
I think that we are volunteers partizipating to project, not subordinates of the project organizers. So please don't give us
orders !

Probable reason for posting this message to this bulletin boad is that according to my knowledge you are not regular reader of the primenumbers mailing list (you told that in one of your post)

It is a shame that primes are not in the database and
It should be fixed quite soon. Chrish is quite busy ofter so
we know that it is not your fault.

Proving primes is very hard and most of the big probable primes can't be proved. So it is very very big differece if number is probable prime or proved prime. Coding fast big num libraries is also very hard so it is usually imposible to prove number using own code. That is why yves gets gredit everytime if his progam is used and primeform team gets gredit when it is used.

difference between probable prime and proved prime is not usually obvious to people when they start searching primes but they usually learn it sooner or later. old searchers are very serious about that topic and that explains some strange posts to primenumbers mailing list in the past. Now attitude seems to be positive toward this project :
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/primenumbers/message/10460
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/primenumbers/message/10474

My two cents,

Nuutti

rsbriggs
12-26-2002, 09:01 PM
And not to start something, but there are more than just a few of us that support SMHs viewpoint on the matter. We understand that it will probably take until after the first of the new year at this point.

Information posted to the the prime numbers board usually gets back to Chris, one way or another either directly or indirectly. The group can be found here :

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/primenumbers/