PDA

View Full Version : Should the SMP client use both CPUs?

johnfkitchen
12-11-2002, 05:53 PM
I have an Athlon dual CPU system, and had assumed that the SMP client would use both my CPUs. :confused: It is only using one. Do I need to do something special? (Yes, I am new to this project :bang: ) Thanks! John

johnfkitchen
12-11-2002, 06:11 PM
OK, I figured it out the hard way. A search for "SMP" doesn't work, but reading the posts sequentially DOES! :crazy:

kmd
12-11-2002, 10:13 PM
Here's how you run on a dual. Get the normal client and get it running. Then get the SMP version and run that. The program only uses one processor, so you need to have a second one running to use both processors. There's a special client so they won't use the same registry keys and screw everything up.

shifted
12-12-2002, 01:04 AM
Or, if you're running a real os (ie. unix-based), just install it as many times as you have cpus, then run them all :)

johnfkitchen
12-12-2002, 06:36 AM
In other DC projects, this is also how it works under Windows, or the client is capable of running multiple threads from a single instance. I don't think you should blame the OS for this quirky implementation ;)

shifted
12-12-2002, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by johnfkitchen
In other DC projects, this is also how it works under Windows, or the client is capable of running multiple threads from a single instance. I don't think you should blame the OS for this quirky implementation ;)

Meh, i just hate windows and its viral licensing agreements, and its idea of putting everything in an easily corruptible registry; thus, i like to poke fun at it whenever possible.