PDA

View Full Version : Largest primes update?

philmoore
12-13-2002, 01:44 PM
I just noticed that Chris Caldwell's largest known primes has been updated, but none of SoB's recent discoveries have been included. See:
http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/search/primes.cgi/100/
If the four recent discoveries had been included, they would rank as the 20th, 25th, 27th and 32nd largest known primes. (The rankings declined a little bit since they were discovered as several Generalized Fermat primes were also discovered recently.) In the range where new assignments are currently being made, it could well be that the next discovery will rank as the 5th largest known prime - we'll celebrate that one when we come to it!

Does anyone know why these weren't included in the latest update?

smh
12-13-2002, 02:01 PM
My guess is that there aren't any prover codes yet. The SoB client is not a standard program, and a new code is needed for each prime discovered (unles one participant is lucky enough to strike twice).

But i admit, it's been a long time since we discovered our first prime ;)

kugano
12-13-2002, 03:27 PM
I sent an email to Caldwell a while back with the information for our first 2 primes. I never heard anything back. He has an automated system on the site for submitting new primes and getting new prover codes, but I didn't see a way to create a "group" code like we would need to split the discovery between Louie, myself, and the user. I'll have to email him again and see if I can get a response.

nuutti
12-13-2002, 07:12 PM
complicated prover codes are created by hand by chris.
It usually takes some time to get one.

Please remember that you should credit everyone who has been essential to discovery (Paul & George if you have used their code / software)

Yours,

Nuutti