PDA

View Full Version : What's on your desktops

Chinasaur
12-31-2002, 04:50 PM
For those of us with multiple desktops (*nix's, AltDesk, etc)...

What do you have on each desktop?

#1 - mp3's, irc, top
#2 - email
#3 - Galeon (browser)
#4 - DC project terminals

each has it's own place and if I open something in the wrong window it bugs me.

Anyone else obsessive about their desktops?

:cheers: Happy and safe New Year all..

Peace.

Dyyryath
12-31-2002, 05:25 PM
Heh, I'm kind of the same way. ;)

Desktop 1 - xmms, gkrellm, evolution, xchat (when I'm using it)
Desktop 2 - galeon (1 instance full screen -w- tabs)
Desktop 3 - komodo
Desktop 4 - multiple gnome-terminal windows

IronBits
12-31-2002, 06:40 PM
DC Client of course ;)

PY 222
12-31-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
DC Client of course ;)

:jester: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Unfortunately I use Winblows on all my machines :cry:

Dyyryath
12-31-2002, 10:01 PM
My condolences. ;) :D

cygnussphere
12-31-2002, 10:43 PM
www.digitalgallery.dk/ancientgarden.html (http://www.digitalgallery.dk/ancientgarden.html)

My desktop Xp or Not its still cool :D

:cheers:

alpha
01-02-2003, 02:16 AM
#1 galeon
#2 irc, mp3, top, misc

I don't really need any more workspaces than this because of screen windows. Whenever I want another terminal its only a ^A-C away, and switching between them is trivial ;)

Dyyryath
01-02-2003, 03:25 AM
My only complaint with standard terminal windows is size. I like at least 120 cols X 40 rows or so.

I can get that with framebuffer, but it's much easier just to use resizable gnome-terminals under X. And now with the tabs in gnome-terminal, it's even better. :cool:

alpha
01-02-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Dyyryath
My only complaint with standard terminal windows is size. I like at least 120 cols X 40 rows or so.

I can get that with framebuffer, but it's much easier just to use resizable gnome-terminals under X. And now with the tabs in gnome-terminal, it's even better. :cool:

If the above was in response to my post, I think you misunderstood me - I wasn't referring to plain console. I meant I would fire up an aterm, then screen, THEN a new terminal is only an ^A-C away and you can resize it as you want :) 120x40 is around the size I am comfortable with, too.

Hmm, you're almost tempting me to try gnome-terminal again, with all that tab talk. No. I mustn't. :D

Dyyryath
01-02-2003, 03:52 AM
Ah. I haven't used screen since I was doing it on the plain console. gnome-terminal's tabs are much like Galeon. They're pretty swanky and once you get used to them, it's hard to live without them.

Another nice feature of the new gnome-terminal is a workable cut & paste. Highlight what you want with the mouse, SHIFT-CTRL-C, switch to another tab (or any other GUI app) and SHIFT-CTRL-V to paste it in.

It's a wonderful way to cut & paste an SQL statement from a Perl script that I'm editing in vi to the MySQL shell on a remote machine I've accessed through SSH. It's probably my single favorite feature. ;)

Chinasaur
01-03-2003, 09:06 PM
Dyy,

Yer right..I installed multi-gnome-terminal...not bad :) With the tool bar turned off..it's an ok size and less bulky than Konsole.

Good call and recommendation :)

alpha
01-04-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by Dyyryath
Another nice feature of the new gnome-terminal is a workable cut & paste. Highlight what you want with the mouse, SHIFT-CTRL-C, switch to another tab (or any other GUI app) and SHIFT-CTRL-V to paste it in.

How is that easier than just highlighting to copy, and middle-clicking to paste? :confused: