PDA

View Full Version : Fold-It and Beowulf

Hogger
01-03-2003, 02:02 AM
<Mmm>

Wondering if anyone has any sort of Beowulf *nix cluster running Fold_It.

I'm new to *nix, Red Hat, just eval (single cd) distros right now, but I have heard much praise for using Debian in such an effort <Beowulf>. I have a slew of 166 -200 Mhz hardware available to me.

Can the foldtraj client be made to run on a cluster of such hardware, without incredible effort?

Comments? :rolleyes:

Scoofy12
01-03-2003, 01:37 PM
well, i guess the answer would be yes-and-no, or perhaps "mu".

if you want to run the client on a bunch of computers, they really dont even need to be a cluster. in fact, i would imagine that it would be more efficient if there was no shared resources at all, since the client is already designed to be completely independent. when i had a linux cluster at my disposal, i just wrote a shell script that started the client on each system via ssh individually. there are other ways, but in any case, it isn't actually necessary that the computers be "clustered" in any way.

Hogger
01-03-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Scoofy12
well, i guess the answer would be yes-and-no, or perhaps "mu".
Mmm, ok. My concern was running it on a P-s machine, 200Mhz. The windows client won't run on one. I 'spose I'll just have to try it on a *nix machine, same/ similar proc.

I was curious if the P2, 233Mhz req. could be circumvented using several old machines w/ *nix. <shrug> I imagine it can be done, but maybe I'm just searching for a new sealing-wax formula <!> Thanks ;)

Scoofy12
01-03-2003, 05:51 PM
oh, i see what youre getting at. i dunno about that, but i got the windows client to run on a 200 MHz computer, so i expect you could get it to run on *nix too, provided you had the memory.

Hogger
01-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Aye!

Thanks for the input. I'm not too familiar with *nix yet. I appreciate the comments though.

Scoofy12
01-03-2003, 06:16 PM
oh by the way, as far as linux distros go, debian has by far the lightest-weight default install of any distro i've used, but if youre not familiar you may wanna try another one first, debian doesnt cut new users too much, er, slack

Hogger
01-03-2003, 06:29 PM
Yeah. No GUI in Debian unless you use an installer (Progeny) I've tried Deb, SuSe and Red hat ... all older eval stuff. But very little experience.

I'd like to get Red Hat half-way right to give the box to buddy. It'll (obviously) run OK with an old Apple monitor he has. :O