PDA

View Full Version : How do i run SAB as a Service

Mal495
01-04-2003, 12:47 PM
I tried using firedaemon, and it runs, but I can see its not using any idle processes.... :confused:

whilden@ars
01-04-2003, 02:23 PM
Thats because you dont have the start at boot option Checked in the client options (which causes the program to run but not actually crunch), which then leads to a bigger problem in which the client runs twice! once as a service at boot and one when windows loads.

I have been screaming for weeks for help running this as a Service, no one at Ars has been able to figure it out. I am sure theres is a workaround but I have not found it.

Minus 6ghz from me :(

Dereckson
01-14-2003, 11:47 AM
ServiceMill converts applications into services :

http://www.activeplus.com/default.asp?Jump=page:/us/products/smill/default.asp

Mal495
01-17-2003, 10:54 PM
huummmm...well on one computer i have it seems to be running in the background. I dont know how that happened but that is good. Mabey it could be run as a service by editing the registry? I havent tried it yet but I once ran THINK.exe as a service in win9x/Me by editing the registry>>

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

However, it dint fetch and flush as far as I could tell, it just ran....so I added the server.exe and loader.exe, but that didn't work too well either. mabey next time I'll try adding server and loader to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

instaed of

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

Mabey that will work?

Woodie
02-04-2003, 10:25 PM
I tried using FireDaemon, which worked since last night, but now will start, but won't crunch.

I deinstalled the service that way, and tried using the SrvAny.exe, but the service wouldn't start, because it "...failed to respond to control messages.." or something like that.

I followed the instructions above on setting SB to "START AT BOOT", so now the service-sb is running fine. Luckily, I don't reboot often.

On a related note, sb doesn't appear to be SMP aware, and just grabs cycles from any available CPU. Same thing for sb-smp. I wonder if there's a way to set processor afinity.

Mal495
02-04-2003, 11:01 PM
Humm...17 or bust is pretty tough to run as a service because as mentioned above, if you just run it, it doesnt crunch, if you config to start at boot it will cause a second instance....

Out of curiosity, which instructions are you following above...

if you are using whilden@ars's, then as he said....its not really working. the service-sb isnt actually doing the crunching....its the second, non-service instance of sb that is doing the crunching....

I suspect that if after you set up the program and configure it to "start at boot", you then find it in the registry and move the entire string to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr
entVersion\RunServices

this should work, but I still havent had a chance to try this yet...And I dont know when I will...

Rob
team TerreneBell

MAD-ness
03-04-2003, 02:57 AM
Bit of a late response (and I also mentioned this in the another thread here) but...

http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2668

Mathguy has put together a very nice (and easy) service install for the SoB client.

Not only does it allow service installs, it allows multiple service installs (up to 32, I think) and will automatically set affinities in multiple CPU systems.

Hope this helps.