PDA

View Full Version : How are k/n pairs selected for distribution to SB clients?

MikeH
01-12-2003, 01:38 PM
Question: Do we take any consideration of client processor speed when distributing k/n pairs to SB clients?

I assume at the moment you are taking the smallest sieved n from the database of untested k/n pairs. Thus all k values have their n's slowly increasing (with the possible exception of k=54767 which seems to have slipped behind, but irrelevant to this discussion).

I also think I would be correct in saying that it is important to the project to try to keep the "n upper bound" values moving forwards as quickly as possible, and to not let the gap between the "n upper bound" and the "max n tested" grow too large.

If you made an allowance for the client processor speed, then in theory at least, it should be possible that when each SB client completes a k/n pair, at that instant it is both the "n upper bound" and the "max n tested".

This would be achieved by giving the lowest n value available to the fastest clients, but for slower clients giving an n value slightly higher up the key space. If the offset into the key-space is perfect, when the client completes the k/n pair, it will be both the "n upper bound" and the "max n tested".

From back of envelope math, if we call a PC faster than 2.0GHz 'fast' (i.e. it would get the lowest n), then for a PC one quarter its speed (500MHz), we need to allocate an n value which is

(number of completed tests expected returned in time taken for 2.0GHz PC to complete) * ((fast PC speed / target PC speed) - 1)

A 2.0GHz PC will take about 17 hours to complete a unit in current n range (n=2.2M), thus from current stats (885 proth tests completed today), for 500MHz PC,

(885*(17/24)) * ((2000/500) - 1) = 627 * 3 = 1881

Which means for this example, today a 2.0GHz PC should be given the smallest available n, while the 500MHz PC should be given the 1881st smallest available n.

Yes, you will still get users that give up with SB, leading to the k/n pair being recycled, but this method would guarantee that recycled k/n pairs are always allocated to fast PCs, pulling back the "n upper bound" as quickly as possible.

If we had a configuration item in the client, that allowed the user to indicate the expected number of hours the PC will be on, then the accuracy improves.

Obviously this adds complication to the key-space server s/w (and a little to the client), and whether this is worth the effort at the moment depends upon how slow the slowest PC currently being used is. But as n increases some sort of optimisation will be better than none at all.

Of course, if you're already doing something like this, then please ignore my ramblings.

Mystwalker
01-12-2003, 02:37 PM
Well, 54767 "slipped behind" because there's already a prime found for it. Those tests still made are (most likely) the last done for that k.

AFAIK the current k/n - distribution is just as you assume.

Another option to minimize the gap would be to use machine IDs and assign each one a "reliability rate" based on the time it takes to complete a test and the number of exceeded tests. There would only be a very slight modification to the client, the rest is server-sided. I'd say that there's no need assigned each test to a "suitable" machine - only those who already exceeded one or more times.

The question is:
Is the benifit big enough for the effort needed? I'm not that sure about it...

MikeH
01-12-2003, 03:33 PM
Sorry for missing the prime. Problem is, if you glace at http://www.seventeenorbust.com/stats/rangeStatsEx.mhtml, 54767 has not been "n/a"ed in the same way as the other four.

And yes, using your suggestion, you could use the time it took to process the last k/n pair to determine the offset for the next one. This also kind-off takes care of other factors like how long the PC is on per day etc. For new machines, you could assume it's slow - I'd like to guess that the majority of recycled units are from first time uesrs. Can someone verify?

As to whether it's worth it. I might not be now, but it will be in one years time!