PDA

View Full Version : Admin Things I'd Really Like to See

Cowering
01-14-2003, 11:52 PM
I'd really like a way to send an email msg to all the users on my team. I've got lots of 0 cEm users now, and i bet i could fix most of their problems, but I can't get ahold of them a lot of the time (we are mostly on IRC)

I'd also like a way to list ALL users not on a team.. I've already bumped into 5 people in IRC who thought they were on my team, but never got a password in email, or who forgot to login and join my team. They obviously still think adding the teamname to the client is enough. It's just nicer to get that rosy feeling of climbing in the stats :)

Hope these wishes come true!

Cowering

Mystwalker
01-15-2003, 03:05 PM
The possibility to list all users currently not in a team could lead to some serious spamming. I don't think that this would be very practical. Since the team problem should be solved with a new client version, this concern is only of temporary nature.
*Maybe* it's possible to send those people an e-Mail who entered a (valid) team name in their clients but haven't logged into the website yet?

Cowering
01-15-2003, 04:20 PM
I was thinking along the lines of using the email address the password was sent to. This had to have been valid, else the person could not have joined a team otherwise. You still don't see this addr in the user prefs of team members (unless they entered it again).

This way even the team creator does not know the email addrs.
I'd bet I could get 20% more production if i could just send tech support emails to my team.

Mierin
01-23-2003, 10:39 PM
I am under the impression that just adding a team name to my config is enough (after all that is what I did and I show up on the team stats).

On second thought, I might have put the team name on the initial signup dialog in windows (but I got an error saying the signup didn't work). Does anyone else think this dialog needs work. Besides saying my signup failed when it obviously worked, it is not at all obvious that all the fields are completely ignored if you press "Existing User".

BTW, I did put in a junk email address because I wasn't too sure about this whole thing at first and was just running the client on a trash computer for testing. Now I can't make any changes to my account. This was rather silly of me since I give my real e-mail away on a web page easily reached at the IP address my clients run from. (Admin, any chance you can fix this?)

jjjjL
01-24-2003, 02:30 AM
I'll fix it for you if you email me.

-Louie lhelm@umich.edu

Cowering
01-24-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Mierin
I am under the impression that just adding a team name to my config is enough (after all that is what I did and I show up on the team stats).

On second thought, I might have put the team name on the initial signup dialog in windows (but I got an error saying the signup didn't work). Does anyone else think this dialog needs work. Besides saying my signup failed when it obviously worked, it is not at all obvious that all the fields are completely ignored if you press "Existing User".

BTW, I did put in a junk email address because I wasn't too sure about this whole thing at first and was just running the client on a trash computer for testing. Now I can't make any changes to my account. This was rather silly of me since I give my real e-mail away on a web page easily reached at the IP address my clients run from. (Admin, any chance you can fix this?)

Sorry to quote all, but this explains a lot of foulups for my team people.. they dutifully insert username/teamname everywhere and if they used a junk email AND used the client to signup, then their first email addr listed is going to be junk even if they went back to the website and tried to fix things.

I still don't see how being able to send mail to MY team members only (as the team creator, not just any user) is SPAM. I still can't actually see the email addresses.

Also, I can't see how just a list of non-team affiliated users is SPAM. I already get SPAM from someone on SB asking me to join other teams, so the email addr is leaking out somehow anyway!

I'd just love to be able to get everyone who wanted to be on a team to actually BE on that team.

Angus
01-24-2003, 01:53 PM
I see some contradictory statements here...

You want to be able to send emails to members of your team, to get them to 'join' the team? How will that work? If they have already joined, it's not an issue. If they haven't joined, then they won't be on your team email list, whether hidden or visible.

I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of spam from some team founder/owner. If I'm interested enough in the team, I'll follow my team forum, or participate in the team IRC channel, or team web site, or whatever method the team uses. If I'm not producing, it's because I chose not to, and I don't want to be bugged by emails asking me why I'm not producing. If I want to crunch, and can't, then I will go to the project web site or forum and ask for help.

If you're already in contact with these missing members on IRC, what's the issue? Tell them to quit registering with junk emails, and join properly.

Cowering
01-24-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Angus
I see some contradictory statements here...

You want to be able to send emails to members of your team, to get them to 'join' the team? How will that work? If they have already joined, it's not an issue. If they haven't joined, then they won't be on your team email list, whether hidden or visible.

there are two different things here, Mr BS. Talking to existing team members, and finding the ones who want to be on your team, but are oblivious to having done the joining process wrong. I talk to everyone i can in other forums, but some users are just not going to show up in the right place at the right time.. thus email works best for some.

Angus
01-24-2003, 02:24 PM
The risk of email abuse would seem to far outweigh the benefits of this feature.

If "your" team has problems with maintaining a community, then you need to work on that outside the SoB client.

IF ! for some reason, the organizers decide to add email access to team members, I would hope that it would be with an explicit opt-in mode, so people would only get emails from their own team if they decide to 'opt-in'.

I still don't see how a list on non-aligned users is going to help you, if you don't have access to their emails.

Angus
Free-DC

Cowering
01-24-2003, 02:30 PM
My team is very loosely organized, and the more ways to get a msg out to them the better.

A person on a team has already expressed the willingness to have their email used for SoB related admin functions.. that's what i consider emailing team members about SoB topics.

Having a list of non-aligned users lets me see at a glance the username which I am 99% sure are friends of mine (since they would use the same username here as their nick on ICQ or IRC). THEN I can ask them using whatever methods I can.

I don't think I asked for email addresses of non-aligned users.