PDA

View Full Version : Switch User problem in WinXP

larsivi
01-17-2003, 03:02 AM
Hi!

As many probably knows, XP makes it possible for two or more users being logged on at the same time. SoB doesn't separate the installing user from the rest, resulting in the client starting up whenever a user logs on. This is a problem when two (or more) users are logged on, thus starting at least two clients. Each client use the same cache, thus doing the same work from some point and they share cycles.

This means that the total number of cycles available to SoB must be divided by the number of users logged on (unless those extra users explicitly stops SoB, something they in my case might be to ignorant to do) to get the effective number.

One solution is to get rid of the stuff that starts up SoB automatically and add SoB to the Startup folder for the user that installed SoB (that's me). If someone tells me how to correctly modify the registry or whatever, I could do this on my own. It might also be included in the next client installer, as I have seen installers letting me choose whether to install a program for only this user or all.

Lars Ivar

Mystwalker
01-17-2003, 09:24 AM
You can use StartUp.cpl (http://www.mlin.net/files/StartupCPL.zip) to get rid of the appropriate reg key. It's very easy to do so.

The other option was to implement SB as a service, thus running all the time, even when no one is logged in. There was a discussion conderning the Firedaemon program which can handle this. If you are interested, just try the search function or tell me.

FoBoT
01-17-2003, 10:15 AM
it would be very helpful (for the above reason and others) if the SOB client had native ablility to install as a service, i hope this is on the "wish list" for future features

BTW, thanks for the answer, i also have run into the multiple user on XP problem

larsivi
01-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Yes, thank you. Just what I needed (the startup program)

Lars Ivar

larsivi
01-17-2003, 12:34 PM
heh,
just noticed the tick off box in the config dialog where I could choose whether SoB should start on windows bootup or not...

Lars Ivar

MAD-ness
01-17-2003, 02:22 PM
If anyone has had any luck getting SoB running with Firedaemon myself and my team would love to know how and under what circumstances.

Thanks.

Mystwalker
01-17-2003, 02:33 PM
Well, I tried it just the way it was described here (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1881&highlight=firedaemon) by smh. It worked quite well...

smh
01-17-2003, 04:00 PM
And i still have it running on my office machine. Works perfect. I only have to stop/start the service after a reboot to get the icon back into the system tray. But i don't mind about that. Next week i'll be on a vacation, so chances are that someone else will use that pc, and they won't see the icon, so unless they look in taskmanager (i work at tech. support, so my coll. do know about taskmanager etc.) they won't be able to mess things up. (well, the client restarts after 5 seconds anyway. :)

Maybe next week, i should set that to a couple of minutes. Just in case someone stops the prog. from running, they hopefully won't notice it's restarting.

MAD-ness
01-18-2003, 01:52 AM
smh, I tried the method you suggested in another thread.

It would launch sob (course, it would do this anyways with autostart selected).

I didn't know how to test if it was firedaemon launching it as a service or just the registry key telling it to auto start, but when I would go into firedaemon and tell it to stop the service, it would NOT stop the copy of SoB running.

I must have missed something or be trying to do something different than you. :(

Mystwalker
01-18-2003, 10:00 AM
Just deactivcate the registry entry with startup.cpl (linked above). It won't completely delete the key but move it to another location where it doesn't act as a start-up entry. You can uncheck "Auto-start on Windows boot" in the config screen, too.