PDA

View Full Version : SoB and Dial-up

jpierfel
01-17-2003, 09:21 PM
I just recently installed SoB on a friend's computer, who happens to have dial-up internet access. How does SoB work with dial-up? (I'm assuming it will send the completed blocks as soon as it detects an open connection?)

jpierfel
01-18-2003, 12:54 AM
Now that I'm reading it, my query is a little unclear.

I guess my main question would be does SoB:

1. Detect when a internet connection is made by the user and then transmit data

or....

2. Only check for an internet connection when the retry timer runs down. :confused:

alpha
01-18-2003, 03:25 AM
As far as I know there is no connection detection. A connection is attempted each time a block is finished (if report intermediate blocks is checked).

smh
01-18-2003, 06:23 AM
Yes, the blockes are just queued.

I think it would be good to have an option to manually connect the server. If you get online after a new block starts, it can take a while before the block is finished, and you might be offline by then

eatmadustch
01-18-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by jpierfel
I just recently installed SoB on a friend's computer, who happens to have dial-up internet access. How does SoB work with dial-up? (I'm assuming it will send the completed blocks as soon as it detects an open connection?)

There's one thing you could do ... you could set the "retries wait" (which is by standard 1200) to 120, that way it will only try and get a new block (once an old block has finished) every 2 minutes instead of every 20! That way, the chances that you go online after it tries to get a block and offline before it tries again are slimmer.

Roman
03-03-2003, 11:29 AM
There's one thing you could do ... you could set the "retries wait" (which is by standard 1200) to 120, that way it will only try and get a new block (once an old block has finished) every 2 minutes instead of every 20! That way, the chances that you go online after it tries to get a block and offline before it tries again are slimmer.
I've tried this method, but it doesn't work. I've set client's "Retries Wait" to 120, waited for it to finish a block and connected to the Internet. After 15 minutes on-line it still shows "Unable to transmit, block stored in queue" - and it doesn't seem like it's trying to transmit it every two minutes as it's set to.
I'm using the Windows SB client v1.0.0, "Conn Retries" and "Rprt Retries" are both set to 0.
What's wrong?

eatmadustch
03-03-2003, 12:34 PM
try restarting the client ... this has been discussed in this thread:
http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2593

Roman
03-03-2003, 01:13 PM
Thanks.

The log files posted in that thread clarify that the "Retry Wait" option affects only transmission of a whole completed WU, not it's intermediate blocks...

Ken_g6[TA]
03-06-2003, 06:49 PM
So is there any chance the client could be made to connect and send any unsent blocks when it's started up again?