PDA

View Full Version : Auto Update on SMP, second instance dies

statsman
01-30-2003, 05:17 PM
I have an SMP machine running Windows XP pro. I have had distributed folding installed in 2 directories and running as 2 services (with /install and /install2). This all seems to work and run just fine until there is a protien update. The update gets downloaded and installed into both directories just fine, but the second instance of foldtrajlite is no longer running. Windows services shows both services as auto started but only the first one is running. If I re-start the second service foldtrajlite starts up and runs just fine. So this is really just a minor annoyance at this time, but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this behaviour.

FoBoT
01-30-2003, 05:29 PM
a guy on my team that has some dualies reported that his 2nd cpu's were stopped after the update, sounds like the same thing

ps congrats on taking the #1 RMS (by a good margin too) :)

HaloJones
01-30-2003, 06:18 PM
I've got one running NT4 server and the second instance updates but doesn't run. Unix SMP boxes updated OK.

TheOtherPhil
01-31-2003, 02:05 AM
Yeah, it happens on all my dual machines. Howard mentioned a fix a while back. I guess it isn't that much of a problem....more a minor inconvenience .

m0ti
01-31-2003, 04:02 AM
Happened to me too.

I generally just ran the updates out of synch (run one, let it finish, then run the other).

I expect it's a problem with the temp directory to which it tries to extract the update before copy, etc.

Brian the Fist
01-31-2003, 09:31 AM
Im sure I fixed this ages ago, but maybe it's crept back in again. I'll take a look when I have some time but it doesnt sound too urgent

tquade
02-03-2003, 10:07 PM
It never was fixed. I just gave up complaining. Glad to see that others have raised it again.

Brian the Fist
02-05-2003, 11:21 AM
After I alledgedly fixed this problem (July 10, 2002) have you since un-installed and re-installed BOTH services? This is required in order to get the fix to work. Can anyone verify that it has worked at least on SOME machine with two services running?

statsman
02-05-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
After I alledgedly fixed this problem (July 10, 2002) have you since un-installed and re-installed BOTH services? This is required in order to get the fix to work. Can anyone verify that it has worked at least on SOME machine with two services running?

I completely reinstalled the services and the entire directories on Dec 10th 2002. The last 2 protein updates have failed in the same way, the directories get updated but the second instance/service is left not running.

Welnic
02-06-2003, 12:22 PM

I have a mostly forgotten box running 2000 with 2 PIIIs that I am pretty sure updated successfully the last update. At one point before the last update someone had killed both services but I have never checked it and found just one instance of df running.

All of our XP machines are single processor and all of my other dual proc machines run other OSs.

key0868
03-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Currently Half my boxes are dual xp/2k. This is a major problem for me :help: .

Brian the Fist
03-01-2003, 11:51 AM
In the service.cfg files on your machine(s), does one say 'service=1' and the other 'service=2'??

statsman
03-01-2003, 12:47 PM
In the service.cfg files on your machine(s), does one say 'service=1' and the other 'service=2'??

I'll bet mine did not. I forgot that those needed to be different and copied the first one into the second. This is probably the problem.

But since I don't have the dually any more (upgraded to a AMD 2200+), then I will not be able to test this.

PenDragon
03-05-2003, 02:47 AM
Hi Brian

It was Terminator and myself that highlighted the bug back in July, I can confirm that the second instance has never restarted properly after a protein update.
I thought, the same as you that I needed to uninstall and re-install the second service, but, even after a completely clean install on a new box, the second instance still fails to start.
- I will double check that the two sevices are differently identified in the .cfg file -

Cheers

Grumpy
04-16-2003, 08:36 PM
None of my machines run as a service but only one can autoupdate. Always gets an error unpacking. Some are Win 98SE, some XP Pro. So do not think it is just as a Service that this happens with. Worst thing is the machine which always works is an old Duron 750 on 98 SE. I am sure you will have it all smoothed over when the auto update feature is put into the Beta

:notworthy