PDA

View Full Version : proxy version ?

friz
02-01-2003, 12:35 PM
Is there possible to have a proxy version for windows engines ?

MAD-ness
02-01-2003, 03:40 PM
The way that the client is currently set up (it uses registry entries for the work units as well as doing some other things that make proxies difficult) a proxy isn't likely.

Someone sufficiently clever could probably hack something together to move proth tests around, but so far no one has done so.

Hopefully the next version of the client is more flexible. :)

dperino
02-02-2003, 02:06 AM
That sucks. We have several members who can't join because of proxies.:bang:

jjjjL
02-02-2003, 03:14 AM
writing a proxy for SB could be easily done by someone with a tiny 3rd party app. it definately doesn't require a new version of SB. there would be nothing stopping someone from making an app the listened on an internal port and then transmitted results back and forth though a datapipe but interfacing with the proxy.

i.e. in the client, you'd set network settings to something like

host: 127.0.0.1
port: 17171

then the app would just have to listen for traffic on the local port and rebroadcast though the local proxy to

host: sb.pns.net
port: 1717

this would be about the simplest network app i could imagine writing. i bet someone with almost no experience could tackle it in a weekend.

beyond that, i bet people with no programming skills could solve the problem too. there are dozens of general use packages that seem to do things like this although i've yet to see someone post instructions on making one work for SB. i'm sure people are using them but just haven't shared the secrets. i think anyone behind a proxy with any amount of computer knowledge should be able to do this with any number of programs freely available online.

unfortunately for you guys, i'm not behind a proxy, so i have no way to figure this out myself. however, as i've hinted above, i doubt it would take anything near the programming or computer knowledge i have to do this. it really just takes someone trapped behind a proxy with nothing to do for an afternoon ;)

i'd recommend people with computers behind proxies run SoBSieve until someone gets around to providing a simple solution. good luck on building an app (or making instructions for using an existing app). anyone who makes this work or needs some critical insights is welcome to email me. lhelm@umich.edu

-Louie

ps - it might even be possible to do this in windows with a simple config option which i'm sure could be distilled into a 1 line registry file. might want to look there too.

bluumi
02-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by jjjjL
host: 127.0.0.1
port: 17171

then the app would just have to listen for traffic on the local port and rebroadcast though the local proxy to

host: sb.pns.net
port: 1717

There is a little problem :scared: my ADSL-Provider has completly block all port and only open needed (80 / 110 / 25 / 23 / 21 and so on)
1717 is absolut not a port he know, and he don't open it for "me" :) ...

If the Proxy can communicate to port 80 or a other common port, the proxy is real usefull.....
OR if the client can can communicate with a http proxy it work too. :thumbs:

jjjjL
02-03-2003, 01:45 PM
bluumi -

that already works. the people above are talking about socks proxies. if you're just behind a firewall, use thses settings

host: sbp.pns.net
port: 80

or

host: sbp.pns.net
port: 22

-Louie

bluumi
02-09-2003, 02:19 PM
:p
Ok, the Problem is a little bit more complex.

First is the Firewall of the buissines, that has close ALL and open only needed ... but ALL need auth... I have made a "hole" on my buissines PC... a installed proximotron, but the Problem is still there...

If i enter in the Client the host: sbp.pns.net & port: 80, it only can communicate to this if it auth itself... But that won't work...
If i enter in all Client the IP of my buissines PC and the port of it, the proximotron don't know where the target is.

I need a way to enter a proxy in the Client. So i can enter
Proxy 127.0.0.1
Port 9909

Target sbp.pns.net
Port: 80

:D

Now i hope it's more clear what i need.

Scarblac
02-10-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by bluumi
First is the Firewall of the buissines, that has close ALL and open only needed ... but ALL need auth... I have made a "hole" on my buissines PC... a installed proximotron, but the Problem is still there...

I don't want to be a spoilsport, but that firewall is there for some reason. If I wanted to run SoB at my workplace and had firewall trouble, then I would ask the sysadmin to authorize it and make it possible. If you're allowed to run stuff like SoB, then that shouldn't be a problem. If you're not allowed, well blocking you is what that firewall is for...

bluumi
02-11-2003, 04:53 PM
:D Thanks Scarblac, your Answer is not helpful, but funny.

Yes this firewall is for anything... it's for ME the paranoic Sysadmin... and thanks i ask myself and my chef. it's ok to run SoB.

Ok. Again... the Problem is, there are 2 Points of Blocking...

There is a Network, used by kids that try all .... Than there is a Firewall where block ALL traffic. On this Firewall (admin by myself) run squid on port 8080 and allow traffic to Port 80 and 443 IF it is auth by username and password (same as in the ADS). On this Firewall run a DNS & MailProxy too, but not needed in this thread..

Ok... The second Firewall stay at the ADSL Provider... this ADSL-FW is "hidden". It let pass all on port 21/22/23/25/80/110/ and many more. but not on Port 1717...

IF SoB want to connect to sbp.pns.net on Port 80, he call in the net, but none answer on port 80 :-) He need to call on Port 8080... but if he don't know the secret word (username&Password) he is not allowed to go to the ADSL-FW ...

Ok i have made a "backdoor" called proximotron on one Server in the internal Network, but to hide this to to all other kiddy i use a "stupid port", in this example we say 9909 and its IP 192.168.1.99.

If we say to the SoB Client there this "hole" on IP 192.168.1.99 and port 9909.... he call proximotron, but don't say the real target... (We need a "proxy entrie" in SoB)

If i configure the firewall to make a DNAT, (all Traffic on a destination Port of 1717 replaced with Port 80) i have no traffic from sbp.pns.net to the Client, or anything else was wrong.

Is there a way to add a Proxyentry?

Sorry Scarblac for my :cool: about you. I know what pain is if someone don't accept the admins and that they playing god :D

:help:

IF there is NO Firewall between my Network and the ADSL-FW, that i can use SoB on Port 80. But the Squid proxy need an entry.

Now all understand ? :crazy:

jjjjL
02-11-2003, 10:09 PM
i've used squid. i used it in the reverse manner. that is, i used squid to make a secure tunnel as a way to bypass a firewall. i used to do that back in high school when i wanted to use the internet without going though the parental control filter-proxy.

wow. this is exactly why i haven't added proxy settings. that's the most insane setup ever...

redirection and username/password authentication though a remote proxy? sorry, i have a life ;)

-Louie

bluumi
02-12-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by jjjjL
redirection and username/password authentication though a remote proxy? sorry, i have a life ;)

Jep, you'r right.. but if i can use only my hole its enough. "Only" a Setting like df with the proxy.cfg (IP&Port of Webproxy)
The Proximotron do the auth things for me & you :cheers:

cya :rotfl:

joseph_arthur
02-12-2003, 11:13 PM
Hi.

I manager a Squid proxy too.

I don't have activate the username/password.

I have a public Lan and a private Lan.

All my students (600 users) have a private IP address (172.16.XX.XX).

I use a software found on download.com to reply the port 1717 to port 80 or 22.

I have a station on Win2000 who run "ip_relay" with switch "1717 sbp.pns.net 80".

On students station, I have in the file "HOSTS" the line "sob.pns.net <ip for my public station>".

Now, the SB software send information on "sob.pns.net:1717", public station receive information and relay to "sbp.pns.net:80" or other port.

Good luck.

Bye from Quebec,Canada -20°C tonight.