PDA

View Full Version : Why does Free-DC have teams?

Hinton
12-27-2001, 07:36 PM
I understand the motive for making a free dc community.

But, in making a free-dc team, then how is this forum any more free than any other forum?

I am from team HardOCP, and would really enjoy a neutral teritory to discuss and enjoy DC that involved other team members as well, but this is not it, as it is just another DC team competing against the one I am currently on. And as such I don't really feel at ease here, which IMHO _should_ be the purpose of this forum given the name you have given it.

I applaud your decision for this board, its really nice, but it is not going to achieve what you are trying to achieve.

It will not be free for the above mentioned reasons, a free DC forum would be one that was not to linked to anything but DC (as this forum is), would not be linked to any commercial interests (as this forum is) and finally would be free for all DC'ers, an open forum for everyone from all teams (as this forum is not).

I think you guys should instead stay on your respective teams (ars ones mostly I assume), this way you will initially attract many more people to this forum from all teams. The teams then present on this board will be like the sub-teams you had on Ars, an idea I assume you still think is a good one (rightfully so, it is).

Please consider not to just make this potentially great board, into just another team forum.

trif
12-27-2001, 09:49 PM
Many people like teams, and don't have affiliations with other organizations (like Ars or Hard[OCP]), and don't care to join an affiliated team, but they would join a team like Free-DC. I myself have lurked on the Ars Team Prime Rib (GIMPS) board because they have some good technical information, but I am neither a team oriented person nor a stats driven person, so I have not joined their team, and don't expect to join any team, including Free-DC. But I'm just fine with them having a team, and I hope other team members will feel just fine coming here and sharing tips, hints, and other information that will help further all the myriad DC projects out there.

I think teams are great and all, and when the competition brings in more participants, that's great. But when it starts leading to cliquishness, hoarding of useful information, and refusal to even talk to people on other teams, it ends up hurting DC, not helping it.

ColinT
12-27-2001, 09:54 PM
Trif,

The beauty of this thing is that you don't have to be a member to enjoy the fruits of a large team. You are welcome here.

Colin

dragongoddess
12-27-2001, 11:48 PM
why do trees have leaves. I'm not sure but it must be something in the air.

Hinton
12-28-2001, 12:41 PM
Not all trees have leaves, some have needles. Though you could argue that the function is the same.

Though, to use your analogy. Not all forums have teams, all DC forums have ofcourse.

But I see the fact that all DC forums have teams as a paradigm that people who doesn't automaticly accept as an axiom can change. Though the free-dc forum didn't do that, I am just arguing that it _could_ have. (scuse me, trying to write in English what I am thinking in Danish).