PDA

View Full Version : Service creates strange files in c: root

HaloJones
02-07-2003, 07:59 AM
I have a farm of NT4 machines running the service client and each time the service starts it is creating a group of files in the root of C:

e.g.

2_0185.cdx
2_0185.dbf
2_0185.fpt
3_0185

If the client is started as a client (not service) these files are created in c:\temp to the point of creating \temp if it doesn't exist.

If the PC crashes or the client is killed (improperly stopped) the files are orphaned as new ones are created next time the service is started.

Additionally, these files are causing filesystem errors and index corruptions.

They are not mentioned in the readme. What are they? How can I specify where they go?

Brian the Fist
02-07-2003, 10:44 AM
These files end up in the TEMP dir for the current user. The service runs as a 'different user' than when you run it manually. I think user 'SYSTEM'. You must have TEMP for user SYSTEM set to c:\ on the machines, or something like that. Change it to something else if you want.

You can also set a global environment variable DFPTEMP if you wish - if it exists, the client should always use this dir for its temporary files instead of the default. You can always erase these files IF the program is not running at the time (meaning they're left over from a crash/reboot).