PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Upload. Proxy/Firewall probs?

csdpdx
02-07-2003, 08:58 PM
I'm running the new text client from work and for some reason I can't upload any structures.

I have checked my error.log file and I have a bunch of entries that say:

ERROR: [000.000] {ncbi_socket.c, line 910} [SOCK::s_Connect] Failed pending connect to www.distributedfolding.org:80 (Unknown)

I have the client installed at home and it works fine. So I think my problem has something to do with 'where' I'm trying to use the client. I'm guessing that there is either a proxy server or a firewall that is not allowing my data to be uploaded. However, I am unsure on how to check my assumptions.

What I am asking is how do I tell if I'm behind a proxy or firewall, and if so, what can I do about it?

Thanks in advance,
csdpdx

FoBoT
02-08-2003, 09:37 AM
the easiest way to check is to just try setting up the proxy.cfg file and see if it then works

unless you don't know your proxy server

if you use IE at work, go into Tools-Internet Options-Connections-LAN Settings-and see if there is either a name or IP address in the proxy server box

if so, then put that name/IP and port number into a text file (named proxy.cfg) like this

the first line is the IP/name, the second line is the port

if your proxy also requires a login (user/password)
make the user the 3rd line, and the password the 4th line

csdpdx
05-02-2003, 04:11 PM
Well I am still having problems and I have confirmed that I am not using a proxy. So what next?

csdpdx

Brian the Fist
05-03-2003, 03:04 PM
Your service provider (ISP) may be using a transparent proxy (which means you dont know its there) which could be blocking certain types of incoming packets. To verify this, try using a free HTTP proxy (many are available, just try searching google). Make sure the proxy uses a port other than 80, and enter this in your proxy.cfg.

If the software then works, it means your ISP is using a transparent proxy with interferes with our software. If I knew why it interfered, I'd fix it of course, but this is beyond my knowledge unfortunately.

P.S. who IS your internet provider?