PDA

View Full Version : 01/31/03 build DF Win2k Service will not start folding without internet connection

Elvenstar
02-08-2003, 09:01 PM
01/31/03 build foldtrajlite.exe as a Win2k Service will not start folding if internet connection is not present. That is, lock file is current, foldtrajlite.ex process is present in task manager but its cpu usage is 0 (even after 15mins of waiting). This does not happen when run as an application or on the 01/06/03 build foldtrajlite.exe run as a Win2k service.

In addition, the 01/31/03 foldtrajlite.exe started as a service without an active internet connection cannot be stopped (using the Win2k Services Panel).

Paratima
02-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Put -if on foldtrajlite command line in foldit.bat.

You should (almost) always be able to stop it by removing foldtrajlite.lock.

Elvenstar
02-08-2003, 10:43 PM
Deleting the lock file does not stop the service in this case, ie. the process remains in task manager.

BTW, foldtrajlite.exe when run as a service does not use foldit.bat. In any case, disabling network access is besides the point. This appears to affect only in the latest 01/31/03 build as mentioned in the 1st post, the previous 01/06/03 build works fine.

IronBits
02-08-2003, 11:44 PM
use kill.exe in the resource kit ;) nothing about your point, but still...

Welnic
02-09-2003, 01:12 AM
You can add connect=0 to your service.cfg and it will not try to connect to the internet. I have never had any trouble with any of the clients not running if they were not connected to a network.

But if they are connected and there is a problem with the df server when they start up the first time the client will complain about that, and it sits there and waits for a return before it quits. If this happens when it is just trying to upload it just waits a minute or so and then starts folding again. But when it first starts it doesn't deal with the server being down very graciously.

Elvenstar
02-09-2003, 03:07 AM
:mad: One more time....I am reporting a problem with the 01/31/03 build or release or whatever you call it, not earlier versions. So, it would really be more helpful if you try out that version to see if you experience the said problem before posting. Thanks!! :bang:

Brian the Fist
02-09-2003, 11:05 AM
I will see if I can reproduce the reported error and fix it if so. What about if you run this version NOT as a service but under the same conditions, do you get the same problem?

Elvenstar
02-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
I will see if I can reproduce the reported error and fix it if so. What about if you run this version NOT as a service but under the same conditions, do you get the same problem?

No problem when it runs as a normal application. This only happens when it runs as a service. I have only tried this on Win2k sp2 only though.

Brian the Fist
02-10-2003, 02:04 PM
I have veified that it is indeed a bug. Until I figure out what is wrong and fix it, you can avoid this problem by putting the line 'connect=0' in your service.cfg file when you are disconnected from the network.

I'll make sure this gets fixed in the next release of the software.