PDA

View Full Version : Seti Server Frustrations...

Alpha_7
01-31-2002, 11:05 PM
Anyone else getting upset, that when we want to send units in, or get some new ones to crunch it takes hours, just to connect and keep a connection long enough to make the transfer.

I'm stash fill up, and I can't empty them.

Neon meantione that they have downgraded the servers bandwidth coz it was costing Berkeley too much money :((

IronBits
02-01-2002, 12:12 AM
Use this SetiQ then www.dbestern.com:5517 It is always open and active.

Richard Clyne
02-01-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Alpha_7
Anyone else getting upset, that when we want to send units in, or get some new ones to crunch it takes hours, just to connect and keep a connection long enough to make the transfer.

I'm stash fill up, and I can't empty them.

Neon meantione that they have downgraded the servers bandwidth coz it was costing Berkeley too much money :((

I am getting very cheesed of with the state of the Seti Server:mad:

It can take up to 2 hours just to upload half a dozen results:mad:

Berkeley say the best time to connect is between 7:00 and 11:00 UT. The time I am not in the house. Can't set my Q to auto dial at these times as it's a DUN connection and I have only one line.:mad:

Could Berkeley be following in the lines of Stanford's G@H. Could Berkeley upset enough crunchers that we could see a exerdus of seti crunchers who do not use caching or can't upload thier caches.?

Plenty other projects out there. Only time will tell.

Come on Berkeley get a grip and sort this server bandwidth problem out.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Alpha_7
02-02-2002, 07:52 AM
Totally agree, its ridiculous, at times i've had nuthing to crunch, coz all my WUs have been completed and I can get any more,

Please berkeley, think straight and fix the problem.

Papa Shango [JSI]
02-02-2002, 08:42 AM
well i've found the best time to upload my blocks is about 10:30am in the uk :)

Alpha_7
02-02-2002, 08:52 AM
1 in the morning here seems to be fine.. well today anyways...
YAWN..
too much lanning not enough sleepign..

Night all...

Zzzzzzzzz..
thats right.. I sleep in a bed.. not at my desk :)

Richard Clyne
02-02-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Papa Shango [JSI]
well i've found the best time to upload my blocks is about 10:30am in the uk :)

Agree with you but I lesve for work at 6.45am (UK).

I have had no problems so far today. Maybe weekend is going to be best time for me. I will know for def later on, will have another 3 wu's to upload about 4.30pm.

Seti was a good project to run. With SetiQ running at home all I had to do was allow 10 mins a day to upload and download wu's. Not know, I have to allow for 2 hours per day for about 9 wu's.:(

Richard Clyne
02-02-2002, 11:44 AM
Weekends seem the best time time to dump. Thats twice today with no problems.

I might cache a few more units and just dump at the weekend.

pizzaking
02-02-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Richard Clyne

Agree with you but I lesve for work at 6.45am (UK).

I have had no problems so far today. Maybe weekend is going to be best time for me. I will know for def later on, will have another 3 wu's to upload about 4.30pm.

Seti was a good project to run. With SetiQ running at home all I had to do was allow 10 mins a day to upload and download wu's. Not know, I have to allow for 2 hours per day for about 9 wu's.:(

I have the same problem as some days I'm in a lecture at that 10.30. The solution was to point my setiQueue at Ironbits' queue (linked above) then connect each morning when I get up. All results are uploaded and new wus downloaded quickly (only limit being my dial-up connection) and have found it to be quicker than when I connected directly.

Richard Clyne
02-02-2002, 10:24 PM
This is a possible solution pizzaking. Certainly be good for user who for what ever reason do not cache.

It might be a good idea for some one to post a set of instructions on how to take advantage of IB's very generous offer to allow users access to his SetiQ.

Any instructions should take into account that there could be different setups e.g. user runs cmd client only, uses caching progs like SetiDriver, or already has a queue or two set up.

I am sure that Darkness Productions is offering the same service as IB.

Darkness Productions
02-02-2002, 11:23 PM
You are correct in your assumption. To use my queue, follow these simple directions:

Seti CMD Only - run seti as normal, but when starting, append -proxy gms8994.dyndns.org:5517 to the cmdline.

SetiDriver - In the Proxy Server field, type in gms8994.dyndns.org, and in the Port field, type 5517, then click connect.

SetiSpy - In the section where you tell SetiSpy to start the client minimized (as well as where the client is, to start it with SetiSpy), there is a field called client parameters (et al). Type -proxy gms8994.dyndns.org:5517.

To use IronBits Queue, or any other for that matter, replace the gms8994.dyndns.org and 5517 with the respective queue location and port number. Hope this helps!!!

Originally posted by Richard Clyne
This is a possible solution pizzaking. Certainly be good for user who for what ever reason do not cache.

It might be a good idea for some one to post a set of instructions on how to take advantage of IB's very generous offer to allow users access to his SetiQ.

Any instructions should take into account that there could be different setups e.g. user runs cmd client only, uses caching progs like SetiDriver, or already has a queue or two set up.

I am sure that Darkness Productions is offering the same service as IB.

Richard Clyne
02-03-2002, 07:46 AM
If anyone is using SetiQ and is having difficulty connecting to the Seti Server and would like to connect to someone elses SetiQ then read this: http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=122097561&m=3310922363