PDA

View Full Version : run task once at boot up (NT4.0)

IronBits
02-12-2003, 08:49 PM
Before a user logs on, I need to run a task (as administrator or system of course) but, only just once.
Any tips/ideas?
I want to load this 'task' on every workstation connected to the network so that when they, or I remotely, reboot their workstation, this command will be carried out with 'admin privs' before the user can get logged on...

Paratima
02-12-2003, 11:21 PM
Installing as an "automatic" service gives a problem how? :confused:

Scoofy12
02-13-2003, 01:06 AM
i think he means any command, not necessarily DF or a DC client.

IronBits
02-13-2003, 09:05 AM
Correct, no DC clients allowed :(
I'd like to snag a copy of the ntuser.dat file for backup purposes, which has to be accomplished prior to the user logging on.

Paratima
02-13-2003, 12:30 PM
Wasn't thinking of clients, but OK, so I consulted my local MS guru. :rolleyes:
(I hope you appreciate this, 'cause it costs me, the Unix guy, whenever I have to ask this turkey anything about Micro$haft!)

to run at boot-up: you need to install it as a service. I'm not sure exactly how you do that, but I can find out, if needed. I think that it works as long as it's a .exe and any .dll's that it uses are in a standard path, ie, \WINNT\system32.

to run on login: (which may work for you) just plug the program into \WINNT\Profiles\All Users\Start Menu\Programs.
Presto! Runs any time anybody logs in. :D

Dyyryath
02-13-2003, 01:17 PM
If you need to run something just on startup, you'll probably want to use the registry. This isn't the same thing as a service. Services need to be registered with the Service Manager.

To just run an exe on startup, check out the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

magnav0x
02-13-2003, 04:11 PM
The problem with both of those suggestsions are that the user actualy has to log in for them to be execute. I'm assuming IB doesn't want that. I'll see what I can find for ya IB.

IronBits
02-13-2003, 08:31 PM
yes, needs to run once, and I'll be running a .bat file.
\run and \runonce won't work as someone has to logon to the box for it to run.
Think of ntuser.dat and how to make a backup copy of it for the users... ;)

Anarchy99
03-09-2003, 10:17 PM
could this work for you at all

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

just a thought

A99

IronBits
03-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Not really... for the above to work, a user has to be logged on for StartUp to function.
I need it to run once before anyone get's logged on...
Thanks tho!

Anarchy99
03-09-2003, 10:30 PM
sorry it has a run once at system startup option and I thought that might be what you wanted, sorry IB Im just a tourist on the net:rotfl:

rshepard
03-09-2003, 11:09 PM
What about using FireDaemon ?
http://www.firedaemon.com/