PDA

View Full Version : Cheap ATX cases

IronBits
02-16-2003, 04:14 PM
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?image=11-127-014-03.JPG/11-127-014-04.JPG/11-127-014-08.JPG/11-127-014-07.JPG/11-127-014-05.JPG
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=11-127-014 $21 each :D
http://images2.newegg.com/productimage/11-127-014-07.JPG

magnav0x
02-16-2003, 04:41 PM
Nice price! Are the power supply's reliable?

IronBits
02-16-2003, 04:46 PM
;) I don't see no PS in that case ;)
BYOPS :D

Paratima
02-16-2003, 10:09 PM
Hmmmmm. 21 plus 30 bucks for a cheapo PS, plus shipping or sales tax on both.

Not bad for a mobile farm, but a bit high when it comes to X8 or X16 boxen. :eek:

Think I'm gonna go with the old classic standby for my stack - plywood shelves and a bigass floor fan! :smoking:

IronBits
02-16-2003, 11:10 PM
hehehe, nailing them to the wall works well, if you need the floor space :D

tim
02-17-2003, 12:42 AM
Now that's an idea! Do you have a picture? I have a workroom in my basement with one wall full of tiny holes, to put little pegs in to hang tools. Now I can fill it up with mobos. Cool wallpaper.

IronBits
02-17-2003, 01:34 AM
Just use a tie wrap to stick the HDD on the PS, hang the PS and mobo on a peg, and you're done :D
Take pics!!! ;)

tim
02-17-2003, 02:05 AM
Maybe when I get a digital camera or a scanner I could post a pic. ;) Right now I've got a home built wooden rack that took a lot of time to build and looks really cool, that holds 7, and then I have 6 in a steel rack/bookshelf that used to hold binders of fabric samples. Every four inches or so it has a steel divider to hold the binders up, so a mobo sits vertically between. If I could do it over again, I'd find more steel rack/bookshelves. But the wall, that's intrigueing . . . intreeging . . . whatever

TheOtherZaphod
02-17-2003, 04:25 PM
My DC rack has 10 cases and 6 bare boards on it. Four of the caseless ones are fully integrated deals with no slotted cards; the other two have video and NICs on them. They run fine as long as you just don't touch them, but it you disturb them it can be a royal b!#{h getting them placed "just so" again so that the cards are making good contact. What I need is a frame that will screw onto the MB and give me something to hold the cards in place better... I've read about people using hot-glue or silicone caulk, but I've never tried that.

tim
02-18-2003, 11:00 AM
My 7 in a wooden rack require a video card so they can boot, but they have no monitor attached. The rack holds them horizontal. I wouldn't try to do them any other way. Sometimes I have to connect a monitor and keyboard to see what's up (like when it won't let me telnet in) and nearly every time I do, one end of the card comes out of the slot. I just carefully snug it back in and 90% of the time it doesn't crash the machine. My wooden rack has them stacked one on top of the other, so it wouldn't be hard to attach a block of wood to the underside of the shelf above to hold the card down. That would work for all but the top one. But I seldom have to do anything with the cards, and when I do it's no big deal, so I won't bother. I'd think silicone caulk would work, not conduct, and remove easily if needed, as long as you didn't squeeze it into the slot itself, just kept it on the plastic part of the slot and the card.

I built this wooden rack around an atx mobo I was familiar with and trusted and was cheap. Now I know better and further buys will be fully integrated mobos. It's so cool, you can hang one from a wall on a nail, or stick 'em vertically like books on a shelf. I guess you could even hang 'em from a spinning poster rack like they have in music stores.