PDA

View Full Version : Submitting duplicate DPs

alpha
02-17-2003, 03:42 AM
I am only posting about this because I am sick of reading Jay Berg's (and DocHopper's) long whiney posts (http://www.ecc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=206) on the ECC2 forums about it.

I guess the above only applies to rus6 as far as Free-DC goes (only active participant), but if others read this too it can't hurt.

IMHO the project managers/admins should have expected stuff like this to happen, and shouldn't have taken the project on if they couldn't handle or prevent it.

Since ECC2 started I have found Jay Berg to snap at every request and complaint regarding the project. He even complained when I suggested adding an option to the windows wrapper to disable writing of the .spd each second (or is it more often?) due to unnecessary wear on the HD. Of course, that was never implemented, after giving multiple weak excuses. It is due to things like this that I am no longer contributing.

rus6
02-17-2003, 05:38 AM
Very topical this one. (At least to me ;) )

Must admit I was a bit shocked to receive a message yesterday from the very man (Jay Berg) it turns out I had been uploading duplicates.

I have to day, It was user error...

As some of my machines are behind a firewall I have been using the manual uploader, and uploading both the dplist and .pnd file each time. In turns out these files hold exactly the same contents hence I was uploading duplicates...

I notice that today after an email converstation the uploading page has been changed to make this more clear...

Instructions:
1. Enter your email address
2. Locate your ecc2-109.pnd or the dplist (the dplist must be named dplist or it will not work)
3. Upload
4. Make sure it says. "The file was successfully sent!" and "File sent"
5. Rename your ecc2-109.pnd or your dplist file
Failing to do so may result in being banned from submitting DPs

Item 2 wasn't clear before, it's much better now.

I really like the fact that this project has a time scale and will end in about a year, plus the speed up of the client has been great.

However the client and stats development is a little on the slow side :sleepy: , if there was proxy support I know most of the upload issues wouldn't be problems....

Supp
02-17-2003, 06:52 AM
2. If the issue does NOT get resolved we will activate code that is already in the DP server that will "ban" users that continually send in duplicates above an already determined "safe" level. We simply have to "flip the switch" and the bannage begins.

...now, that's sick to ban their lifeblood (=users) from project!
:mad:

Darkness Productions
02-17-2003, 08:09 AM
rus6: Check at http://stats.dp.cx/ecc2/

It's coming along slowly still, but that should help you curb your stats cravings ;)

Originally posted by rus6
However the client and stats development is a little on the slow side :sleepy: , if there was proxy support I know most of the upload issues wouldn't be problems....

rus6
02-17-2003, 09:48 AM
marvellous thanx :smoking:

Now if I only had some one to challange me...

Digital Parasite
02-17-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by alpha
He even complained when I suggested adding an option to the windows wrapper to disable writing of the .spd each second (or is it more often?) due to unnecessary wear on the HD. Of course, that was never implemented, after giving multiple weak excuses. It is due to things like this that I am no longer contributing.

Patience my child... My psychic prediction ability says that such features may be appearing soon, very soon in fact... ;) I cannot say any more for the moment...

Jeff.

alpha
02-20-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Digital Parasite
Patience my child... My psychic prediction ability says that such features may be appearing soon, very soon in fact... ;) I cannot say any more for the moment...

Jeff.

I hope so. The evaluation period for the ramdisk software I am using is almost up :)