PDA

View Full Version : SOB Service/performance issue

amcdonald
02-19-2003, 04:20 PM
Is it possible to run sob as a service? (sorry for the ignorance)
Also, Is there a more subtle approach to running this besides the idle option? SOB is very noticable on idle when the cpu is under stress. I'm just refrerring to office/internet applications and the like, not gaming. Apps will hang during normal use, and this can be stopped by stopping sb.exe
This is noticed on a p41.8, 1800+, and a 2100+ oc'ed
any suggestions?

Supp
02-20-2003, 03:19 AM
It's not possible to run SoB as service now, not even with FireDaemon, because it starts the client but it doesn't crunch. This, as well as problem with false idle mode you (and many others) have should be solved in next version of client. :(

MAD-ness
03-04-2003, 02:55 AM
There was a "work-around" for getting SoB to work as a service using FireDaemon, but it is no longer needed, as someone has written a program that does it all.

Louie provided a slightly modified SMP client and MathGuy put together a really comprehensive service install package which can install and run services for up to 32 CPUs, automatically sets affinity optimally (or attempts to do so) and even has some support for Hyper-threading.

Check out the thread here:

http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2668

I tested this out and have left it running ever since its release last week and I have had zero problems (actually a real smooth implementation, as far as I can tell, and has good documentation).

I hope that helps (it has helped solve a lot of problems for a lot of people). :)