PDA

View Full Version : Who do I have to bribe?

Chinasaur
02-02-2002, 06:26 PM
The BeOS and QNX clients for Dnet are from 2000. I KNOW that there are optimizations out ... as well as Crunch-o-meter options that are not in those clients.

How does one get Dnet to upgrade old clients?

Is it even possible? Guru says it ain't gonna happen but I have to ask.

Darkness Productions
02-02-2002, 06:47 PM
From what their site says, if you make mods to the source of the client that they have, and it makes the client faster, without mucking the expected results, they'll incorporate it into the next client. It might be worth a shot if you program :D

Originally posted by Chinasaur
The BeOS and QNX clients for Dnet are from 2000. I KNOW that there are optimizations out ... as well as Crunch-o-meter options that are not in those clients.

How does one get Dnet to upgrade old clients?

Is it even possible? Guru says it ain't gonna happen but I have to ask.

Chinasaur
02-03-2002, 02:06 PM
DP,

All Be or QNX needs are new compiles of current source...so we can take advantage of the latest speed improvments and other features of the program put in place since mid-2000.

So I guess I can try to compile on my own (I'm no programmer) but I'm wondering if I get it to compile...will it work or connect and be accepted as a valid client by Dnet?

Darkness Productions
02-03-2002, 11:12 PM
It should.... However, the source that they have on their site isn't a full client, so that could be one of the steps you'll have to take. Just email em, and ask them for the source so that you can compile it, or ask them to. Shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes, max :D

Chinasaur
02-05-2002, 10:35 AM
I put in a port request ... lots of other people requesting updated clients for their OS's as well.

I wonder why dnet doesn't update them?

Chinasaur
02-08-2002, 10:10 PM
Dnet answered the port update. Mike Reed from Dnet wrote me with a name of a Be employee who did their porting.

This guy now works for Palm. He wrote back he is not going to keep the port (both x86 and PPPC) updated.

I sent the reply back to Dnet.

Unless someone volunteers and is acceptable to Dnet...Be isn't getting updated on Dnet.