PDA

View Full Version : Free-DCs Hydra Rules

MrTRS
02-20-2003, 09:57 AM
Free-DCs Hydra Rules

I think it would benefit all who might consider donating to the project if we put forth some basic rules and guidelines.

If somebody donates hardware that person can expect his/her hardware will be made part of a DC stack of computers that is being operated by one of the Hydra site operators. That hardware will become, in most cases, an important part of a working computer that is being operated in order to produce Word Units that will be contributed to a Free-DC team.

It is not reasonable for hardware donated to be returned to the original owner because of the nature of this hardware in most cases. The donated hardware, for the most part, will be low end and well-used equipment. It is unreasonable for the Hydra site operator to mark every piece as to who sent it in and keep records as to get it back to the original owner. The Hydra site operator my decide, after a while, that the donated part is defective and discard it.

It can be negotiated at the time of donation which DC project the donated part will contribute to. And that part will be used to create WUs for that project until the end of the DC project or the part is found to be defective.

The Hydra site operator will be responsible to create DC project user ids for his units to work on. As an example, if a part donator agreed to his part being used for Distributed Folding, then the operator would integrate the donated part into a node that would be part of a larger stack of computers that may be crunching under a user id that reflects the Free-DC Hydra name. For example freeiso who will operate a Hydra site in an Eastern State, would create a user id on DF named Free-DC Hydra-E.

And the Hydra site operators would pledge to keep separate the WUs produced by his/her private computers and those produced by a Hydra node.

All good things come to an end. At the time a Hydra site operator must stop supporting the project it can be discussed as to how the hardware is to be disposed of. He/she may decide to ship all his parts to another Hydra site operator. Or donate them to a local recycling center.

Comments?

MrTRS
02-20-2003, 05:24 PM
are you saying that i can not run my persoanl computer under the hydra work id ?
No, what I was trying to do was assure the donater that the site operator would not take his hardware and contribute to his own private stats. If a site operator wants to donate hardware to his or any other Hydra site he would be welcome to.

MrTRS
02-20-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by freeiso
well....
:jester:
then i'll just have to open a new DF account then ...

Free-dc Hydra-East it is

Look up at the top of this page, the Free-DC logo , note that the DC is capitalized. And I would suggest shortening the name from East to just E.:D