PDA

View Full Version : New ECC2 Client and ecc2GUI Available!

Digital Parasite
02-23-2003, 06:16 PM
SWfreak has written a new client for ECC2 that has many of the features that people have been asking for but didn't receive.

Its most prominent features/possibilities are:
* Works under all Windows operating systems (Win 95, 98, ME, NT3.51, NT4, 2000, XP).
* Turn off .spd file writing. No more RAMdisks.
* Save your DPs without messing with the servername in the config file.
* Flush your DPs for instance every 2 or 3 hours or at 23 hours.
* Detect whether a dial-up connection is available before trying to connect to the internet.
* Never connect to the internet at all.
* Prevent shutdown problems under Win 95, 98, ME.
* Hide the console window.
* Don't retrieve stats.
* Have one copy parked on a network disc and run it on multiple computers with minimum hassle.
* And much, much more...

For more info and to download:
http://swfreak.dcworld.nl/

Check out the post on the official forum:
http://www.ecc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212

A new version of ecc2GUI has been released that supports this client along with a number of other improvements. You can download the latest ecc2GUI v0.8 from the usual location:
http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/ecc2GUI/

Jeff.

Darkness Productions
02-23-2003, 09:50 PM
I gotta say I like that next to last option. Do all the clients write to one dplist?

alpha
02-24-2003, 03:18 AM
Holy %$^!. That is hella nifty :) I was reading through the wrapper readme wondering how I was going to remember all those command line options, when I realised the GUI supports them all already. Excellent work :thumbs:

I was just getting settled down to OGR too. Oh well /me is back for a while ;)

Digital Parasite
02-24-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Darkness Productions
I gotta say I like that next to last option. Do all the clients write to one dplist?

I'm not sure, you would have to ask SWfreak about that.

Jeff.

SWfreak
02-24-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Darkness Productions
No, they write seperate (d)plist files and seperate PND, SPD etc files. Just make sure that you use the -outdir command to start the client in a different directory on each computer.
For example:
Start with "ecc2109c -outdir n:\path\to\ecc2\dir1" on computer 1
Start with "ecc2109c -outdir n:\path\to\ecc2\dir2" on computer 2
ecc2109c will then automagically create these directories and the client will start working side by side without any problems.
This feature was inspired by the fact that the cygwin dll is so large that you can quickly run out of space when running multiple client via a network disk. Now you can have one copy of the executables, the cfg and the dll and run the client on multiple pcs without a problem.

rus6
02-24-2003, 08:02 AM
All sounds good to me :thumbs:

If you turn off the .spd writing is it any faster? Any other speed increasing features?

SWfreak
02-24-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by rus6
All sounds good to me :thumbs:

If you turn off the .spd writing is it any faster? Any other speed increasing features?
I havent noticed any speed increase. There should be, but it is too small for me to notice.
You might want to try ecc2109s. This is a special version that will not provide any output nor look at any stats messages. Although I have no evidence of any difference in speed, it should be slightly faster...

Edit: I just looked at the results of some pcs that were running ecc2109s for the past weekend and they same to have "higher than expected" outputs. So I think there may be a speed increase after all....