PDA

View Full Version : ecs k7s5a pro wont boot

MrTRS
03-08-2003, 03:41 PM
Ok I went and bought a ecs k7s5a pro for the ddr and price.
Now it wont boot. It says low cmos battery even when I put in a brand new battery. I even tried to boot without the battery and it still says low battery.

I think the bigger problem is it also says cmos wrong size and gives the options to hit f1 to start cmos start up and f2 to load the default and continue. When I hit either option nothing happens.

This board has a clear cmos jumper, when I do the clear cmos deal and reboot with the regular cmos jumper in place I still get the cmos wrong size and the options.

I have this board on my workbench with just a 420w power supply and one 256 mb ddr stick and a pci vid card. Nothing else to complicate matters. Oh yeah, a ps2 keyboard and a cpu.

The thing that comes to mind is the bios is corrupted.
I have been reading up on flashing the bios. I have never done a bios flash. The question in my mind is will the machine find a boot floppy if I have never been in the bios and it may be corrupted.

Any ideas?
Ray

rus6
03-08-2003, 06:11 PM
Sounds like the bios is knackered to me.

If the boards still in warranty I'd take it back..

If the board doesn't boot you will not be able to flash the bios as this involves booting up and then running a couple of files..

I'm guessing the cheapest thing to do (if the boards out of warranty) would be to buy a new board...

Not much help I guess..

MrTRS
03-08-2003, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the info.
I will probably RMA it on Monday.
Paratima recommended a Biostar in this threadhttp://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2452

What do you think?
Ray

IronBits
03-08-2003, 11:53 PM
They work good well. With DDR support to.
Sometimes the onboard NIC doesn't work ;(
But we had a few spare NICs laying around... :)

TheOtherZaphod
03-10-2003, 09:53 AM
Many motherboards are shipped with the CMOS jumper in the "clear" position, not the normal position. Check the markings on the board before you end up returning a perfectly good part.

MrTRS
03-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by TheOtherZaphod
Many motherboards are shipped with the CMOS jumper in the "clear" position, not the normal position. Check the markings on the board before you end up returning a perfectly good part.

Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah, I found the manual notation about the clear cmos jumper and I tried it both ways. In the clear position it wouldn't even post. But in the normal position it would post but not boot.

I decided to RMA it for repair to newegg in stead of refund to save the 15% restock fee. It goes off via UPS tomorrow.

Upgrade in waiting.
Ray

rus6
03-11-2003, 04:08 AM
I hope that means you'll soon be crunching more ECC2 :D

MrTRS
03-11-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by rus6
I hope that means you'll soon be crunching more ECC2 :D
Yeah, that was my intention.
What I was trying to do is upgrade my 200 fsb 1.3 ghz duron to 266 fsb xp 1800+ ddr. That way I have an upgrade path I can follow when more funds become available.
And I can send my Duron rig off to one of the Hydra sites.

Ray

MrTRS
03-21-2003, 07:29 PM
Well, here is an update to the ecs situation. I RMA'ed it to NewEgg and they are sending a replacement.
Now this is only the second time I have RMA'ed something. The first time was with another company and they just refunded my money.
NewEgg didn't send me any official notification as to what was the problem with the board that I sent them. I had to check the RMA status on there webpage to findout they are shipping me another one.
I shoud get it on Monday.
Watch out rus6, you are in for some big trouble next week.:D
Ray

rus6
03-22-2003, 02:32 AM
:scared: :scared: :scared:

Bring it on!

MrTRS
03-24-2003, 03:32 PM
rus6,
Looks like you will be able to take advantage of me for a while longer.
I recieved my RMA'ed k7s5a today and it does the same as the one I sent back.
So I'm going to RMA it again but this time I will get a refund, minus the 15% restocking fee.:swear:

I will take my time to decide what to do.
I have a very small computer budget. I already have some DDR memory and a AMD 1800 cpu.

Maybe that Biostar?

rus6
03-24-2003, 06:07 PM
:bang:

That's not good news! :mad: The Ecc2 team could do with the extra dp's. :cry:

I wonder if you got sent the same board back... I'd be tempted to mark it and see if the same board comes back again, 3 in a row all failing, how likely is that?

I've always found abit and asus boards to be top notch, but hey every so often you do get duds.

The only make I've had trouble with recently have been with Jetway .

Anyway hope you get it sorted.

ECL
03-24-2003, 10:41 PM
If you want to try a different vendor, Googlegear has the ECS for $59.50. This is a reputable outfit, and I've never had any problems with anything I've bought there.

http://www.googlegear.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?productCode=243811

NewEgg seems to have a problem with bad motherboards, according to various threads in our forums here. Either they're sending defective stuff back out as new, or they're suffering from some kind of plague. In honor of "Patient Zero" I dub this the Ironbits DOA Motherboard Syndrome. :)

MrTRS
03-25-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by MrTRS
Paratima recommended a Biostar in this thread http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2452

I ordered the Biostar from tcwo.com
Later,
Ray