PDA

View Full Version : OGR-25 and OGR-25 What's the difference?

IronBits
03-14-2003, 12:04 AM
Huh? :confused:
Is there something special I have to do in the dnetc.ini file to make sure I'm helping in OGR-24?
I have it set for doing both RC5-72 and OGR now...

Chinasaur
03-14-2003, 12:10 AM
Nope. If you have it set for OGR you will get -24 packets as well as -25 if any get sent out.

:cheers:

BTW, I heard today that the QNX peeps have optimzed the OGR cores so if any of you Free-DC types are running QNX _AND_ OGR...the primary porter says

"As a followup to this, I just uploaded a new QNX client which does almost twice the OGR performance that the old one did. The problem was I assumed (I know, ...) that the cores were optimized by hand and generally didn't need compiler optimisations. This is true of the RC5 cores.

But, in the case of OGR, the core actually wants you to "tune" it for your compiler (or vice versa). I looked at what they were doing in the linux x86 compile and used a bunch of the same flags - since they are both x86 gcc compilers, etc..

Anyway, bottom line is the dnet OGR core in the latest build is much faster. This will come out as version: v2.9003-481-CTR-03031212 when it is available".

QNX is really a development environment and NOT a true desktop, but it does make for a heck of a nice platform if your tastes run to minimalist.

:cheers: :cheers:

PY 222
03-14-2003, 01:35 AM
A follow up to IB's question.

Is there any difference, I mean in terms of the mathematics or science between the two?

Just curious.

Also, are we deployed as a Team in OGR-24? How come we don't have an official forum or the Team Ranking Panel?

Just curious again.... :thumbs:

alpha
03-14-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by PY 222
A follow up to IB's question.

Is there any difference, I mean in terms of the mathematics or science between the two?

Certainly. We are crunching OGR 'stubs'. Each stub is either 24 mark or 25 mark. To understand what this means you should take a quick look at this (http://members.aol.com/golomb20/intro.htm).

Also, are we deployed as a Team in OGR-24? How come we don't have an official forum or the Team Ranking Panel?

Yes we have a team in OGR-24. Note that there are less 24 mark stubs being distributed than 25 mark, and you cannot choose to only crunch the 24's (or 25's).

I actually sent IB a PM about changing the name of this forum to include -24 somehow, but didn't receive a reply...

PY 222
03-14-2003, 02:15 PM
alpha, thanks for the link. It really improved my knowledge in the project that I was crunching for.

As for OGR 24, I believe that its been around for an extremely long time but there seems to be only very very little activity in terms of the Administrators of the project and user participation. So, I guess its an almost dead project that did not meet its objective in finding the 24 stub ruler.

But OGR 24 and OGR 25 is almost essentially the same project but finding different amount of stubs in the Glomb ruler. So I would agree with alpha to rename this forum from OGR 25 to OGR 24/25.

IronBits
03-14-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by alpha
I actually sent IB a PM about changing the name of this forum to include -24 somehow, but didn't receive a reply...
I missed it :bang:
but all better now - thanks :thumbs: