PDA

View Full Version : What project should Free-DC Hydra-Central and Magnav0x support?

MrTRS
03-17-2003, 10:57 AM
Magnav0x is getting ready to start up a few machines for Free-DC Hydra-Central. And needs some input as to what project(s) he and his stack should support. Of course a poll is the first thing to some to mind, but as you may know when the poll list gets to be 10 or 12 items it gets too long and cumbersome.

A quote from Magnav0x

"I'm going to be getting as many machines up an running a I can this week as I get them set up, but I'm going to keep them from crunching until Friday when I have a definite decision on which project to crunch for. The project that is chosen will effect which operating systems go on the machines."

So to that end please follow up to this thread your opinion what project(s) he should start out running. I would think that anybody that contributed to his stack would be first in line to comment.

My only input would be to point out how much fun it is to watch a large stack of machines climb the stats in whatever project is chosen. So I would hope that Magnav0x manages to use a userid something close to "Free-DC Hydra-C" for the group of machines he plans to run.

Please comment...

alpha
03-17-2003, 11:05 AM
I haven't contributed any parts so feel free to totally ignore me. We could use some help with OGR - some of us have eyes for the top 100 spot ;) Although with the recent controversy over whether the work being done is actually useful I suppose that lessens the chances further.

MrTRS
03-17-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by alpha
We could use some help with OGR

As a sub note Distributed.net has some of the most stable clients on the planet and they have a long list of supported OS's.

Please talk among your selves, don't mind me.
Crunch on...

alpha
03-17-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by MrTRS
As a sub note Distributed.net has some of the most stable clients on the planet and they have a long list of supported OS's.

OK, I wasn't sure about the kind of depth you wanted us to go into. Indeed, the dnet clients are available for absolutely loads of OS's, and several architectures. They require minimum user intervention (if any!), require very very little bandwidth and are insanely stable. Sorry for basically echoing your post, but its all true :)

The OGR projects produce very useful results which can be applied in real life situations such as sensor placements for X-ray crystallography and radio astronomy. Golomb rulers can also play a significant role in combinatorics, coding theory and communications.

I'm sure there are a plethora more pros regarding OGRs, maybe someone else can carry out some pimpage :D

Tax Bracket
03-17-2003, 12:51 PM
Just a quick plug for 17rbust....

One of the few projects right now where we still have a chance to reach the No. one Spot and hold on to it.

In fact we nearly were no. 1 till Beth's amazing production fell...but it's still early enough in the project to make a difference.

Anyway, just my Euro worth...:crazy:

PY 222
03-17-2003, 03:04 PM
I am a mini shareholder of Free-DC Hydra Central, so I will get a vote in it. Thus, I shall exercise my vote.

I VOTE RC5-72!

Btw, magnav0x, did you use the processor that I sent? Just curious! :thumbs:

PY 222
03-17-2003, 03:15 PM
In light of new information regarding OGR-25 and after reading alpha's post, I have decided to change my vote to the current project I am in.

OGR-25.

As OGR-25 is getting a ramp up of production, I sincerely think that it would be wise for The Hydra to give a short stint in that area since we are aiming for Top 100 for the Free-DC team.

We need all the help we can get :help: and Hydra might just be the help we need.

cygnussphere
03-17-2003, 04:04 PM
I would say that those who contribute to the respective Hydra head should have first say. If they are undesided then a pole of the top five suggestions would seem the best route.

Heres to the Future of the FreeDc Hydra Project:thumbs:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

magnav0x
03-17-2003, 05:59 PM
Well, PY would be the only shareholder thus far then, so I think he has a monopoly :|party|:. Haven't thrown the celly in a box yet, I'm still slapping together my intel motherboards and figuring out just high they will all support. As for my hardware that I'm putting in, 3 or 4 celeron boxes of my own, I don't realy care what they go for, so whatever the majority can agree on I'll be just fine with :thumbs:

MrTRS
03-20-2003, 09:28 AM
Magnav0x,
I dont't think another day is going to make a big difference. It looks like 8 replies and 72 views is the turn out that you are going to get. So if you were waiting to get more input before you made your final plans for your stack, I'm not sure I would wait much longer.

Crunch on,
Ray

MrTRS
03-21-2003, 12:33 PM
Magnav0x,
Please come back after you have some of your nodes running and tell us what you dicided to run on them.

Crunch on,
Ray

PY 222
03-21-2003, 01:33 PM
/me whispers in magnav0x's ear..... OGR-25 :rotfl: