PDA

View Full Version : Bad DIMM slots?

magnav0x
03-22-2003, 12:33 PM
Ok here's the deal. While building some computers for the Hydra project yesterday I was having MANY problems with all 3 motherboards taking the memory. They would seat fine, but the machine would not post and beep indicating there was a memory error. I would need to push very hard and sometimes wiggle the memory back and forth in order to get it seated good enough for the machine to boot. That is not the main problem. It would be fine and dandy if it would work after that, but if I move the machine in any way and a lot of times when I don't move the machine at all it would lock up and I wouldn't be able to boot it again, recieving beeps indicating memory problems. All the memory is good as are the processors. These are Intel boards with celeron processors. When I was able to get one of the memory sticks seated well I started to install an operating system. They could not take Win2k, would lock up in setup. They would lock up in linux setup, win98 setup, and winme setup. The only OS they will take are WinXP, but that is too much overhead for these machines. Any suggestions would be greatful.

IronBits
03-22-2003, 12:37 PM
Check for bent j clips or object down in the memory sockets.
use *soft* erasure to clean edges of memory connectors.

rus6
03-22-2003, 04:03 PM
I had a similar problem a while back, with a PC beeping on startup. Turned out the graphics card was on the way out... New AGP card and no problems since.

The best way I've found to install memory is to place the board on a flat surface then you can use more pressure to insert the sticks, without bengin the board. New memory slots on motherboards can be very stiff.

I take it you're sure the RAM is 100% OK.

magnav0x
03-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Well I cleaned the tips on the RAM and it seems to have made a difference. I'm loading up Win2k and going to let them burn in running OGR to see how stable they are. I should have cleaned the contacts on the RAM earlier...it usualy one of those things that I see as superstitious....but never again! Thanks for the suggestions rus and IB.