PDA

View Full Version : Inquire Team pulls the plug on UD

IronBits
02-12-2002, 10:44 AM
Inquirer pulls their UD cancer research team
Intel cancer research project sells out

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inq pulls the plug
The Inq has its own group of cancer crunchers, set up on day one of the project. To date members of the Inq group have contributed over 34 years of computer time. In protest against what we consider to be a sell out of the highest order, the Inq team has been disbanded with immediate effect.
While the decision whether or not to continue with either the cancer or anthrax projects must remain a personal decision, all Inq machines will no longer contribute to the UD project.

Intel was unavailable for comment at press time. µ
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More discussions on Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=122097561&m=3200935173)

ColinT
02-12-2002, 01:12 PM
Thanks IB. I saw that on TheInq. Somehow I don't trust these slick commercial projects. This event just strenghtens my suspicion.

Elaw74[H]
02-12-2002, 01:20 PM
We have had a discussion going over at [H]ard OCP about this topic. I will summarize our opinion of the article so far. You have the option to turn off the Anthrax project ANY time you wish. All that is needed is to go into your profile and uncheck one box. If that is too hard for some I am sorry but they do not force you into any project you do not choose.

Here is our thread about the same topic:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=332335

FoBoT
02-12-2002, 02:17 PM
the only problem i have with THINK is the stupid scoring system
the way they calculate the points is retarded and easily manipulated so that smart dudes can get uber points for just a few results returned

i am after all, a moderate stats whore :o

i will participate in gauntlets, but otherwise, its a single P3-450 running THINK for me :rolleyes:

Chinasaur
02-12-2002, 02:45 PM
The Register posted this article - http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/24034.html .

The point in all this is that it should be ONLY the owner of the machine who decides what the client should run...NOT United Devices. It's a matter of respect. If a user decides to do UD a favor and run it's client (and thereby spend dollars on electricity), UD should respect that users wishes and NOT screw around with what they crunch.

Also, there are the unsavory aspects of thinking you are crunching for one project when in fact your box may be doing something quite different that benefits a drug company.

I don't know what the EULA says when you sign up for a UD project, but even if it allows this behavior on UD's part...it's still a violation of trust.

Elaw74[H]
02-12-2002, 03:13 PM
The user is and always will be in control of what they crunch. All that is required to not crunch Anthrax units is unchecking the box that is for the Anthrax project. It takes only seconds. Its not like they went and over night without a single warning started sending you units for something different. They announced the start of the Anthrax on their site and told you how to sign up and how to opt out if that was your choice.

IronBits
02-12-2002, 08:26 PM
I believe that they switched everyone to Anthrax from Cancer, without telling or asking anyone, that has folks up in arms.
Had they left the clients running the way the 'user' had set it up, there wouldn't be near the ruckus there is.
Myself, I would be mad as hell if I had configured my client to do one thing, then have the project change it to something else without asking my approval... bad mojo...
Like has been said before, you can switch them back to Cancer, but then you would have to check it everyday to make sure the project didn't switch you back again. And if you had alot of boxen... what a PITA that would be.
I run D2OL for Anthrax and Smallpox. I ran UD for Cancer...
I can't trust that project now, so I won't run UD anymore.
Is there another project that does Cancer only?

Elaw74[H]
02-12-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
I believe that they switched everyone to Anthrax from Cancer, without telling or asking anyone, that has folks up in arms.
Had they left the clients running the way the 'user' had set it up, there wouldn't be near the ruckus there is.
Myself, I would be mad as hell if I had configured my client to do one thing, then have the project change it to something else without asking my approval... bad mojo...
Like has been said before, you can switch them back to Cancer, but then you would have to check it everyday to make sure the project didn't switch you back again. And if you had alot of boxen... what a PITA that would be.
I run D2OL for Anthrax and Smallpox. I ran UD for Cancer...
I can't trust that project now, so I won't run UD anymore.
Is there another project that does Cancer only?

Well let me clear up some misconceptions for you. First you didnt get "switched" when the anthrax came online, it was just automatically checked to do this also and if you didnt want it you all that was required was to switch it off in your device manager. The cancer part was never switched off. All the boxes could be changed in seconds all from the same computer so its not like you had to go to different boxes and switch it off box by box. As a matter of fact you could switch it off from a PC that wasnt even running UD. And lastly they posted on their boards that the Anthrax thing was starting 2 days prior to it starting so as long as you visit your projects page you would have had ample warning. BTW as for another cancer project, nope there isnt one. And as I have said numerous times you are able to do just cancer to this day with UD.

Oh and I have been a steady UDer for 3 months now so I went through the whole thing so I know how it went down.

All in all you have to pick the projects that you like for whatever reason you like them. I am sticking with UD because their employees have been way more forthcoming with us than Stanford ever was.

Kurl75
02-18-2002, 01:45 PM
I agree with Elaw. This Anthrax was an ADDITION to the Cancer research. That is the beauty of the UD client. When the cancer research is completed, your points can be carried over to another project so you dont lose the time and effort that you have put into it.

I dont really care about the Antrax crunching either, so I turned it off by simply unchecking the box. They automaticly check it for you in hope that you will crunch for this cause too, but you dont have too.

The reporter that wrote that article for The Inquirer is known to have written MANY Iffy articles. Therefore, to me, he is not very credible.

Do what you like but I will just say these last couple of things. Do you know or have known anyone with cancer? Im sure the answer is Yes. With that taken into consideration, Do you know of anyone that has or will die from cancer? Probably. Did UD drop the cancer research? NO. Its still for the same cause.

Stick with the UD project for the research, not for other unimportant details. Is it wrong for them to add your machines to the Anthrax project? Maybe, but at least they give you the option to turn it off. I have had cancer before and It costed me my left eye. I hope and pray that they come up with a cure, dont You?

Kurl

relic
02-18-2002, 03:25 PM
From the very beginning UD said they were an "opt-out" style of project. All users run all projects unless they opt-out of specific ones. Noone was ever switched off the cancer project, they just ran both anthrax and cancer, taking whatever protein was next in line.

Too many people forgot to read the documentation and blamed UD for their own stupidity.

Kurl75
02-20-2002, 11:36 AM
Anthrax research is over (so I hear). So now is everyone going to start UD'ing again. I hope you all do.

Kurl