PDA

View Full Version : Support Strategy for Hydra/RacerX/Magnav0x

MrTRS
04-03-2003, 10:06 AM
RacerX and Magnav0x, you two have done a great job getting your Hydra sites up and running. But if you want more support from the Free-DC community I would think you need to do one or two things in order to encourage that support.

First, I think you need to establish a good communication channel between you and the persons that may be willing to provide that support. You need to post a site update every two weeks or month. This site update could include the types and numbers of machines in your stack. Maybe info as to what projects you are running and the stats you have achieved. In this way you create interest in your activities and your plans for the future.

Second, you need to post a wish list. This wish list would need to include the items that you need right now in order to complete a node in your stack. Things like what cpus you need to complete the motherboards that you already have. What kinds of power supplies that you need to have on hand for when the power supply goes out on that good cruncher. Memory, fans and all the other little odds and ends that make up a crunching farm. I would think if you don’t tell people what you need you will never get it.

And lastly, I would think it would be a good thing to share with the Free-DC community what you would like to do to make your site a more efficient producer. Things like your plans for better ventilation, or plans for how you would like to house the mobos in your stacks.

Note: I posted this in the Lounge where I think it will get good readership. I would think your updates would go in the Lobby.

Crunch On,
Ray

Paratima
04-03-2003, 12:42 PM
...Or maybe a blog or two.

MrTRS
04-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Paratima
...Or maybe a blog or two.
What a great idea! Just think, there could be a blog posting every other day or so about their climb in the stats and what part they need next.
Hydra Bloging. Wow

RacerX
04-03-2003, 03:08 PM
1 – XP1900 dually,
1 - XP2400,
1 - XP2000,
2 - XP1800,
1 - Athlon K7 1.00ghz
2 - P4 2.4ghz
2 - P4 2.00ghz
2 - P2 366
3 - P2 333
3 – P3 -800

This is what I am currently running. I have no spare parts of anything right now. I need all components. If someone was to send any parts, I would seek out the other necessary components to get it running. All I have is a small variety of RAM and Hard drives. I have cleared a spot and put in a small rack for up to six boards and power supplies but it is empty at present.

Right now all the machines are crunching for DF.

Anyone interested in donating just PM me and I will shoot you my address. We can work out what you what the machine to go toward as well.

magnav0x
04-03-2003, 05:40 PM
Currently Hydra Central has:

1 P4 1.6 ghz
1 P4 1.5ghz (10 hours/day 5 day/week)
2 Celeron 1700
1 Celeron 366

Right now I have 2 celeron 366 machines that are put together, both giving me problems, so they aren't running yet. I believe these are due to bad memory.

Needs:
Athalon XP 1800 needs a motherboard
Celeron 700 (compliments of PY22) needs a motherboard.
DIMM and SIMM memory (a lot of mine has gone bad)
2 ATX Power Supplies
1 AT Power Supply
80MM Case Fans

As most may have noticed I started Hydra Central on DF, because I was unable to get the Celeron 366 running the d.net client. I've since (late last night) switched all to d.net OGR except for the Celeron 366 that will continue to slowly crunch on DF. So you should see Hydra Central among the OGR stats later tonight. Hope the guys over on the OGR project will humbly accept Hydra Central's nodes :)

Beyond
04-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by magnav0x
Currently Hydra Central has:

1 P4 1.6 ghz
2 Celeron 1700
1 P4 1.5ghz (10 hours/day 5 day/week)
1 Celeron 366

Right now I have 2 celeron 366 machines that are put together, both giving me problems. I have a Athalon XP 1800 that needs a motherboard and a Celeron 700 (compliments of PY22) that needs a motherboard. As of right now i'm in need of good (yes, unlike most of what I have) DIMM memory and even some SIMM for a 266 that I'm putting together now. I'm also in dire need of ATX power supplies, as I have 2 machines that can't be slapped together until I get some. Other than that, I'm open to donations. I have more stuff I have in storage, but I haven't been able to get out and see what all I got.

As most may have noticed I started Hydra Central on DF, because I was unable to get the Celeron 366 running the d.net client. I've since (late last night) switched all to d.net OGR except for the Celeron 366 that will continue to slowly crunch on DF. So you should see Hydra Central among the OGR stats later tonight. Hope the guys over on the OGR project will humbly accept Hydra Central's nodes :)

As you (magnaVox) are in Big D and I am in Galveston I will support the Hydra-Central project (hopefully cheaper shipping cost). Not sure what I have on hand, or if it is all working or needed but wil take a look this weekend.

I'm sure there is a thread/post somewhere stating what OS the Hydra-Central is running but I'm too lazy to look. It might be a consideration when offering parts? (ie..Linux friendly/drivers) Once you have time to go thru your parts post and we we see if we can match-up enough to get a few systems going.

/right off the top of my head I have a Athlon (classic) 900MHz, Duron 700 and (P-II 350 with mobo). /

magnav0x
04-03-2003, 06:19 PM
I'm sure there is a thread/post somewhere stating what OS the Hydra-Central is running but I'm too lazy to look

All machines so far are running Windows 98 or 2k, except for the P4 1.6 which runs either Win2k or Redhat 8 depending on what mood I'm in that week.

There is a slight possibility I may be in the Houston/Galveston area tomorrow. Going down to see the battleships (apart of my WWII History research).

As of right now, I have no functional AMD motherboards. Every AMD motherboard I've ever had has eventualy gone out on me :help:. If anyone is a master electrician I have a AMD KT7 motherboard and a Dual Celeron board that could be looked at. I'm unable to get them to post at all, or give error beeps.

magnav0x
04-03-2003, 06:27 PM
I wouldn't mind making a drive to galveston sometime to pick up parts, it would save you cash and give me an excuse to take my girlfriend to the beach :cheers:

Beyond
04-03-2003, 08:05 PM
I wouldn't mind making a drive to galveston sometime to pick up parts, it would save you cash and give me an excuse to take my girlfriend to the beach :cheers:

That would be :cool:

I know I have some socket 370 boards, but not sure what processors they support. Will give you a more detailed report this weekend.

There is only 1 battleship down here, the USS Texas (built before WWI, updated for WWII) at the San Jacinto Battleground park (where General Sam Houston defeated the Mexican army for Texas independence. But there are more ships (submarine,minesweeper, PT boat..ect) in Galveston that maybe of interest.

magnav0x
04-03-2003, 09:43 PM
The USS Texas was the particular battleship I was going to see, been there before and seen them all, but I was very young. The USS Texas served in both WWI and WWII. Next Friday I'm off to Fort Hood to take a look at some of the tanks.

magnav0x
04-07-2003, 09:17 PM
I ran out and got a motherboard for the Athalon XP 1800 today, so I'll throw it on the OGR fire and see how things go :cheers:

magnav0x
04-07-2003, 09:34 PM
Ok, well I've decided all my old Intel boards have just seen too much crunching and are not reliable at all. So that meens I'm going to have a total of 5 celeron processors that will need motherboards. 3 Celeron 366's of my own, a donated Cleron 700 and a donated Celeron 850. I'm pretty sure I can scrounge up boards for the 366's at least one or two, but I switched to AMD in the post 500mhz market, therefore I'm pretty sure I don't have any Intel boards that will support the 700 and 850....any help in this department would be gratefull.

I'll take a closer look in my storage Saturday and see exactly what kind of boards I can come up with.

IronBits
04-07-2003, 09:48 PM
I'll be sending you a p350, complete, without HDD and video card shortly.

magnav0x
04-07-2003, 09:51 PM
Great :D I have a special spot for it already :cheers: If I don't get any responses on Celeron boards, I found a site where I can get some for the 366's with onboard video for $16. Haven't decided which motherboard to go with for the 700 and 850 if no one has a board available for either or them. I'll get it all figured out eventualy, looks like my linux CD's will be getting a lot of action here shortly :|party|:

Maybe i'll download that Mandrake 9.1 that everyone's fussing about :jester:

IronBits
04-07-2003, 09:53 PM
You got a paypal account? I can send ya some coin to assist with them pesky parts ;)

magnav0x
04-07-2003, 10:13 PM
You got a paypal account? I can send ya some coin to assist with them pesky parts

Sure do...it's registered with this e-mail address:

plano_tech@yahoo.com

I appreciate the support :thumbs:

Beyond
04-07-2003, 11:37 PM
I did not get a chance to check thru everything, but I do have 2 mobo's that will support those Celron 366's.

Revised list at this time;

Athlon 900 (classic/slot A with FreeSpeed Pro)
Duron 700 (unlocked)
(2) Celron 566's with mobo's (both run very well at 850MHz)
(1) Celron 533 with mobo ( running at 800MHZ)
(1) PII 350 with mobo
(1) K6-2 500 with mobo
(2) K6-2 450 with mobo
(1) K6-3 450
4-5 10Mb NIC's
(2) 1-1.5MB HHD's

I know I have some extra RAM, PC-66, PC-100, but not sure how much ATM. Will update the list asap.

magnav0x
04-07-2003, 11:48 PM
Ok sounds like a good list. This Saturday I'll post what I pick out of storage and we'll work out some kind of pick up for anything your willing to part with that will help complete systems.

Beyond
04-08-2003, 12:08 AM
Ok sounds like a good list. This Saturday I'll post what I pick out of storage and we'll work out some kind of pick up for anything your willing to part with that will help complete systems.

:cool: