PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake 9.1

Chinasaur
04-04-2003, 12:44 AM
What can I say...this is a very nice Linux distro.

Installation is the best I've seen from Mandrake, and maybe the best mix of newbie friendliness and advanced functions around. It's obvious Mandrake put everything they had into this release. One thing struck me as the Mandrake 9.1 .iso booted. I only saw once CPU marker and I thought maybe I might have to re-compile the kernel later for SMP support. How wrong I was...after reboot I was presented with the usual Mandrake Grub interface (only nicer) complete with an SMP kernel choice. So for all those who have dual's...Mandrake is there for you ;)

From the boot interface to the available choices during install, this distro shouts "I have class!". Everything is done with a polish never seen on Mandrake's interface. Mandrake has given the entire install architecture an overhaul in look and use which shows as you breeze through the menu choices. Anyone who has installed Mandrake through more than version number will instantly recognize the improvements and think "yeah...this is how it should be..".

Install went off without a hitch. Mandrakes disk partitioning software still shines and is as user friendly as ever. I chose to go Expert mode and keep my existing partitions just to check on the Advanced feature set and nothing unusual or bad popped out. Almost the same choices that leave you with total control over your disks.

I selected everything on the "left" side (meaning no servers), and only all available window managers on the "right" side. As usual, Mandrake prompts you if inadvertantly select any servers and asks "do you really want to do this" so nothing new there...but it's nice they still check :)

Installing took longer than I've seen on a Mandrake distro but maybe that's due to simply more packages..don't know. At any rate, it installed fine. You instantly notice that the network screens are absent. "Hey..what happened to selecting all that?" Well Pilgrim..they do it for you now. The default is auto-detect card and choose DHCP and voila..your network works without the old screens we've grown accustomed to. In fact, the only configuration I had to do was X Server and then only choosing screen resolution and XFree86 version (4.3 and 3.8.6 are the choices).

After that it's reboot time and into the distro. Initial feel was snappy which was to be expected on a machine with two XP1800's and 512MB of PC2700.

KDE ver is 3.1 and it's been given the "Galaxy" look from Mandrake. Kind of a Crux ala KDE. I booted into IceWM and was shocked to find it pre-loaded with all the tastiest themes from the IceWM theme repository. Everyone of them was one I would have chosen which made for a nice initial user experience.

As this box is purely for DF I immediately downloaded and installed DF into sep directories and let it crunch. Here my install story goes awry as I lost cable the night I was to put in my wireless network...so things get a bit mixed up and the negatives start to pop up :(

Prior to getting cable back, I installed a new Linksys WMP11 Wi-Fi PCI card. And it didn't work :( Mandrake 9.1 comes with a LOT of wireless card drivers (Orinoco, WaveLan, Prism, BCM) but NONE of them worked on this card. After some digging I found that in the latest version of the WMP11 Linksys has gone to a Broadcom chip that none of the drivers recognize. This is NOT Mandrakes fault as I found out from some newsgroups that Broadcom is NOT playing with the OpenSource community and giving assistance to driver writers. So be warned. WMP11's from months ago will probably work but none of the new ones will.

After the cable came back up and I was dismantling the box I saw that the 89AA protein was running at ~186K per CPU! That's a fast structure count for that protein and I can't say for sure whether it's due to Mandrake 9.1's kernel or the PC2700 RAM. I plan on installing 9.1 on my other dual which currently runs SuSE 8.0 and I will do a comparison to find out.

After I got the Mandrake box back together and booted...the 2nd bad thing popped up and it was a doozie . I lost the install :(. During a Logout the screen went blank and never came back. I hard reset the machine and as it came back up I selected "force file system check". I always use ReiserFS and haven't had a problem EVER with it; but today it was a no go. It would boot to the KDE Display Manager, enter my password then boot to black. Then reset to reboot and I watched the distro collapse in front of my eyes. I haven't seen a dist go bad like that since RedHat 6.0 :( It got so bad that at the last I was being given the option to log in as /var, /etc, /bin, /mnt... you get the picture...the File System was toast :(

I bit the bullet and re-formatted an re-installed leaving my /home partition alone. It installed and did not touch my /home partition (always good to check :)) and it's now humming away on the new install.

All in all....this Mandrake kicks major ass :) From the install to the user interface to the mod's they've made to KDE (which yes is a user interface..shush), to the speed...everything makes this a major release for Mandrake. I've put my money where my mouth is and even though I bought two Mandrakes last year, I bought a low-end subscription to Mandrake to say Thank You for such a nice product. I'm hoping this can replace my stand-by SuSE 7.3 and 8.0 dist's as my weapon of choice for a quick and stable install or what I recommend to friends as their first distro.

SuSE is a major player in the stablity field but is always slower on DF than any other distro around...I don't know why. I've always gotten my best speeds out of Mandrake 8.0 and 8.1, and now it seems that tradition continues wtih Mandrake 9.1. It also beats my Libranet Debian compiled Athlon kernel by a wide margin.

Final Analysis: Even given the re-install I had to go through, not to mention "why"...I recommend this dist. It's as polished as any SuSE, faster than any other distro around and has all the proggies you might wish to play with. Since this was a DC oriented review I didn't go into what is included in the dist but since it's Mandrake...well hey..."Prego..it's out there!!!" :)

YMMV.

:cheers:

Paratima
04-04-2003, 01:42 AM
Nice writeup, Chinasaur! Thanks a bunch.

Guess I'm gonna have to try it... :)

IronBits
04-04-2003, 09:29 AM
Indeed, excellent! :D
I have 9.1 running on my Server and it is snappier.
My Server had crashed, so after recovering all the data, I formated all but /home to. ;)
I to did not have any troubles, and I checked many on the right column of the packages to add screen, configured two NICs manually, and it all came together flawlessly.
I am a very happy camper! :) (of course I had Stibnite massage some things in the background for me so I didn't lose any MySQL databases and fix the website to use the new Apache 2.0 and not use SSL ;) )
Thanks Stibnite!!! :notworthy

Moogie
04-04-2003, 01:38 PM
Thanks Chinasaur. Most excellent write up. I'll have to give this a try. :)

magnav0x
04-04-2003, 03:18 PM
I too will try this distro out sometime. I've shunned Mandrake for many years after the first "stable" distro would corrupt the filesystem everytime the system was shutdown or rebooted. I just figured they deserved that kind of publicity after devoloping on someone elses platform (redhat),

Darkness Productions
04-04-2003, 05:06 PM
A buddy and I put Mandrake 9.1 on his laptop. The only problem we had was that it's support for PCMCIA is a little flaky (aka, kernel panic when it tries to use the PCMCIA stuff). So, we booted with PCMCIA off. Install went flawless. I have to say, it's one of the sexiest distros I've seen in a while, and I can finally understand why Dyy pimps Galeon so much...

However, since we couldn't get the PCMCIA stuff working, we had to try something different, and that something different was debian (of course, since I love debian:notworthy :notworthy )

Glen

magnav0x
04-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Mandrake's PCMCIA support is flaky? I would think that the PCMCIA support should be great, seeing how Mandrake is a spin off of Redhat and Redhat works flawlessly on my laptop with a wireless Linksys WPC11 network card.

Chinasaur
04-05-2003, 03:21 AM
Comparison results -

Both S2460 duals have Mandrake 9.1 on them. The one with PC2700 is doing no better than the one with ECC PC2100 so there goes that hypothesis.

Both are doing around 88K per day on new 157AA protein.

Still and all a good distro :)

Chinasaur
04-06-2003, 05:59 PM
One last thing..font support is fantastic...the fonts in 9.1 are gorgeous...

Bionic_Redneck
04-06-2003, 07:02 PM
9.1 is picky on which kvm switch you use. Also running certian dc clients it won't resolve the address. some of the clients that run into problems are dnet, RSAttak576, and dpad there maybe others but the way to work around the problem is to use the server ip instead of name.

if anyone is using a 4 port or higher kvm without losing mouse I would like to know which one they are using.

magnav0x
04-06-2003, 07:04 PM
I know for a fact SoB is another client that has that problem, but using the server's ip address doesn't help.

Bionic_Redneck
04-06-2003, 07:23 PM
sob runs fine for me. I am using 216.163.34.105 as the server address.

IronBits
04-06-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Bionic_Redneck
if anyone is using a 4 port or higher kvm without losing mouse I would like to know which one they are using.
I'm using the 8-port ATEN Master View CS-128A and it works perfect with all windows OS and Mandrake :D
It also retains seperate video setting and mouse settings for each port. I LOVE this thing :D
http://www.comcatonline.com/comcat/atcs128a8por.html
Supports high resolution to! :thumbs:

Chinasaur
04-11-2003, 10:49 PM
:swear:

After re-installing Mandrake :scared: on one box TWICE..and getting flaky shutdown messages on the 2nd (both Tyan S2460 duals so it might not be Mandrakes fault) I took 9.1 off and installed 8.1...which has worked perfectly :swear:

So it goes...I hope your mileage varies :rolleyes:

:cheers: :rolleyes:

IronBits
04-11-2003, 11:06 PM
Go into BIOS --
Disable Plug & Play
Use SMP 1.1 mode, not 1.4?.
YMMV - but hey, 8.1 wasn't so bad ;)

Chinasaur
04-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Had done all that... :rolleyes:

And Mandrake 8.1 rocks compared to 9.1

YMMV

IronBits
04-11-2003, 11:34 PM
:cheers:

GHOST
04-15-2003, 08:59 PM
THE RAVE BY CHINASAUR ON MANDRAKE 9.1 GOT ME WANTING TO TRY LINUX FOR FIRST TIME. BY THE TIME I DOWNLOADED IT IT SEEMS CHINASAUR HAS REMOVED 9.1.

I WANT TO TRY LINUX BECAUSE I AM GOING TO START A THIRD BOXEN. HAVE THE PARTS. REFERENCE 'PHARMING ON THE CHEAP' I GOT A BIOSTAR AND AMD 2200. WILL PUT TOGETHER WHEN I GET SOME TIME.

WINDOWS XP IS ONLY OS I HAVE USED 'TILL NOW. LAST NIGHT I REMOVED REMOVED HARD DRIVE FROM DELL MACHINE AND PUT IN FRESH HARD DRIVE. INSTALLED 9.1. OF COURSE THE FIRST THING I DID WAS DOWNLOAD DF LINUX CLIENT.

I COULD NOT OPEN THE FILE. TRIED FILE ROLLER, NO GO. DOWNLOADED WINZIP AND COULD NOT OPEN THAT. I GAVE UP.

TODAY I OPENED THE FILE- I DON'T THINK I DID ANYTHING DIFFERENT- BUT I CAN NOT START FOLDTRAJLITE. A WINDOW OPENED BUT IT WAS BLANK.

CAN SOME ONE TELL ME HOW TO GET DF CLIENT RUNNING?

REGARDING 9.1 WHEN OPENING A WEB BROWSER SEEMS TO ME IT OPENS WHEN IT WANTS TO. TRIED GALEON AND IT WOULD SAY- STARTING GALEON AND THEN JUST DROP OFF. SAME WITH MOZILLA. A FEW TRIES LATER AND A RESTART AND IT OPENED.

Chinasaur
04-16-2003, 12:18 AM
Wow Ghost..you jumped in with both feet :) Turns out my problem was with a flaky Trident video card..

1. Find the application called Terminal...it might be in a menu group..pick any terminal

2. When you get the black window..it should have a prompt in upper left hand corner...

3. type in "ls" without the quote marks..this will list your directory contents.

4. find the folde you expaned..should be something like - distribfold.. Do not mistake the actual file you downloaded that ends in tar.gz

5. once you know it's name.. type - cd foldername where foldername is the name of the distribfold folder

6. once you are in it (the prompt may change to reflect thefolder name) then type - ./foldit . This will start the client and prompt you for your settings.

If you get bogged down..come to irc.free-dc on IRC and check into either #lobby or #Free-DC and ask for help..lots of linux people hanging around there...

GHOST
04-16-2003, 12:33 AM
THANKS CHINASAUR. IT WILL BE A COUPLE DAYS FOR I TRY THAT SYSTEM AGAIN.;)

magnav0x
04-21-2003, 09:39 AM
Glad to see you are giving Linux a shot Ghost! It can be quite fustrating switching to a foriegn OS and not knowing how to do everything right away, but when you get the basics down you'll love every bit of it I'm sure. :thumbs:

GHOST
04-22-2003, 02:09 AM
THANKS MAGNAVOX. CHINASAUR HELPED ME GET FOLDIT RUNNING. I INSTALLED FLASHPLAYER SO I COULD SEE THE HONDA COMMERCIAL. HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO INSTALL DFGUI. WONDERING ABOUT A MEDIA PLAYER TOO. REALPLAYER.?

WILL DO THE ONLINE COURSE AT LINUX.ORG AS TIME PERMITS.

Dyyryath
04-22-2003, 03:12 PM
Real Player works pretty well. You can also use any of the good media players that come with Mandrake 9.1.

Xmovie is fairly simple and doesn't always work well for me.

Xine is quite good and is, in fact, what I watch DVDs with.

If you are using KDE, noatun works pretty well for most kinds of mpeg files, both video & audio, in addition to ogg and other straight audio formats. If I'm not mistaken, noatun is actually using artsd for video decoding, so it should be able to handle anything that artsd can handle.

A final option is Crossover Plugin from Codeweavers. It's basically a custom Wine installation that lets you run QuickTime, Realplayer (the windows version), and Windows Media Player 6.4 under Linux. It works flawlessly for me, but your mileage may vary.

I use a combination of all the above. For streaming audio & video, I generally try to use the linux version of Real Player. For playing audio & video files, I generally use Noatun or XMMS. For DVD & long mpeg video files, I use Xine. When I'm on sites that use embedded Windows Media (like the newspaper site that I work for), I use CrossOver Plugin.