PDA

View Full Version : Word Of The Day

GHOST
04-16-2003, 01:54 AM
zeroth \ZEE-roath\ adjective

: being numbered zero in a series; also : of, relating to, or being a zero

Example sentence:
"A fundamental scientific law, known as the zeroth law of thermodynamics, says that nothing can ever be cooled down to absolute zero." (Roger Highfield, Hamilton Spectator [Canada], August 9, 1997)

Did you know?
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to use "zeroth," but the word, which was coined by physicists a little over a hundred years ago, does often show up in scientific contexts. (It comes from "zero," which is itself from Arabic "sifr.") Renowned Soviet physicist Lev Landau had a little fun with "zeroth" when he classified all the famous physicists according to the relative value of their contributions to science. He put Niels Bohr and Max Planck, for example, right up there in the first class, and lesser-rated physicists in the second through fifth classes. Where did he think Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton belonged? They were unmatched, he felt, and they went in the category that superseded the first — his zeroth class.

THIS CAME IN MY 'WORD OF THE DAY'

Darkness Productions
04-16-2003, 09:37 AM
Out-freakin-standing!

PY 222
04-16-2003, 01:11 PM
Hey, we learn something new everyday! Thanks GHOST!

stibnite
04-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Here's a word of the day for everybody:

WANG!

Marc_1
04-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by stibnite
Here's a word of the day for everybody:

WANG!

*sigh*

I feared one day you would return.

Who is the red head? Does she have a sister?

Ya know, I always wonder whether if it was because I was drunk, or if there really was something to the word I was missing. I still blame it on being drunk. I still blame stibnite on being drunk.

Marc

stibnite
04-17-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Marc_1
*sigh*

I feared one day you would return.

Who is the red head? Does she have a sister?

Ya know, I always wonder whether if it was because I was drunk, or if there really was something to the word I was missing. I still blame it on being drunk. I still blame stibnite on being drunk.

Marc

I know you want to hit this.

PY 222
04-18-2003, 03:08 AM
Hmmmm.... I smell something fishy going on between Marc and stibnite.

Something really fishy :crazy: