PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Stupid with an Alpha

Darkness Productions
04-24-2003, 09:29 AM
Howard -

I have an Alpha machine that I recently acquired, running a debian port for that architecture. I downloaded the Alpha client (Tru64 only, though I remember you saying it should work, somehow). However, when I try to start the client, I get the following error:

lincoln:~/distributed/distribfold# ./foldit
./foldit: ./foldtrajlite: No such file or directory

But the foldtrajlite binary exists. Could this be some problem with the fact that it's Tru64 code trying to run under linux? If so, is there any way that it could be made to run under linux as well? I'm prepared to offer access to the machine for compiling/building if it would help. Thanks again for all your hard work Howard!

As an aside, the type of binary is shown below:

lincoln:~/distributed/distribfold# file foldtrajlite
foldtrajlite: COFF format alpha executable paged dynamically linked stripped - version 3.11-10

alpha
04-24-2003, 11:36 AM
Sounds like you need to chmod +x foldtrajlite. I know what youre thinking, if file tells you its executable you would assume its already +x, but I just tested the following:

$ cp /bin/sh ~/
$ cd
$ chmod -x sh
$ file sh
sh: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), for FreeBSD 4.8, statically linked, stripped
$ ls -l sh
-r--r--r-- 1 alpha wheel 460604 Apr 24 16:34 sh

Brian the Fist
04-24-2003, 11:45 AM
Yes you could try that and if that doesnt work, it is probably because it won't. We will provide an Alpha Linux binary as soon as we are able to procure such a machine to compile on. Unfortunately all compilations must be done locally here.

Darkness Productions
04-24-2003, 01:10 PM
Just tried that, no luck.. Howard - wasn't there someone (back in January) that said they might have alphas they could donate? I would temporarily donate mine, but shipping for it would be outrageous, as it weighs 52 pounds...

In that case, does anyone know where I can get a copy of True 64 Unix? :)

shortfinal
04-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Darkness Productions
In that case, does anyone know where I can get a copy of True 64 Unix? :)

You can get a hobbyist version of it for a (relatively) small fee:
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/noncommercial-unix/

Shortfinal