PDA

View Full Version : Unix Hater's Handbook

magnav0x
04-27-2003, 01:27 PM
Taken From Slashdot

"The Unix-Haters Handbook, publication year 1994, is now available online for free as a single PDF file. Apparently some suburban Seattle company has agreed to host this 3.5MB file on its servers. The anti-foreword is written by no other but Dennis Ritchie, who proclaims: 'Here is my metaphor: your book is a pudding stuffed with apposite observations, many well-conceived. Like excrement, it contains enough undigested nuggets of nutrition to sustain life for some. But it is not a tasty pie: it reeks too much of contempt and of envy.'" This is what should happen to more out-of-print books.

I'm not sure how many of you have tryed to aquire this handbook in attemps to see what it's all about. It was indeed hosted by a Microsoft employee, but he has since taken it down because of all the attention it got at Slashdot. I took it upon myself to upload a copy to my webserver so you guys can all grab a copy or just check it out. I'm still unsure how this book sells for $300+ on Amazon. I wonder how many have actualy payed that price?!

http://www.ezracing.net/ebook/uhh.pdf

Enjoy :thumbs: