PDA

View Full Version : I have a question which has not yet been answered over at the DCA at Ars.

Jammy
04-28-2003, 12:54 PM
Question

I woke up this morning around 4 a.m. and decided to check my SOB stats. When I checked they showed only 500 McEMs had been crunched from 2:20 am to 3:20 am. I knew that something was wrong because my XP 1900 and XP 2600 were on for the night. Also, the prior four reports showed only 750 McEMs .

I checked my SOB GUI on the XP 1900 and it was running correctly. I then went into the back bedroom and turned on the monitor of the XP 2600 and the SOB GUI was right on the desktop where I had left it before turning in for the night. It was running at something like 4799 (approx) cEMs/sec. So I checked my Task Manager and sb.exe was not even there and System Idle Process was at 99!

Now what would cause the SOB client to not show up in Task Manager yet be running, albeit very slowly, on my desktop? I closed the GUI and reopened it and it started working normally. BTW >>> both SOB GUIs were open on my desktop when I turned in for the night.

Jammy

Beyond
04-28-2003, 01:59 PM
Jammy, sometimes if the client cannot connect to the SOB servers for the intermidiate updates it will halt the client...the executable will still be running but not doing any work. If you will set the client in the config window to not transmit intermediate updates this will not happen. However you will not have a "smooth" graph of the work being done on your personal stats page.

One other possiblity, I have experienced as have a few others some workunits that just will not process to conclusion. They have to be discarded, or repeatedly restarted.

Jammy
04-28-2003, 02:08 PM
Thank you for your answer to my question Beyond! I am still surprised that one of my own team's members could not take the time to answer it for me. I have only been running SOB for a bit less than two weeks now and know absolutely nothing about it nor how the stats are computed . . .I just run the thing.

BTW >>> I do know about setting the configurations though and I do want to ensure that my graph looks nice, lol.

Jammy

Originally posted by Beyond
Jammy, sometimes if the client cannot connect to the SOB servers for the intermidiate updates it will halt the client...the executable will still be running but not doing any work. If you will set the client in the config window to not transmit intermediate updates this will not happen. However you will not have a "smooth" graph of the work being done on your personal stats page.

One other possiblity, I have experienced as have a few others some workunits that just will not process to conclusion. They have to be discarded, or repeatedly restarted.

Beyond
04-28-2003, 02:39 PM
If they would fix that little problem I would be inclined to return to SOB, as is it is too much trouble to baby sit the clients on a medium to large farm. :(

btw..me thinks you have had more than a couple of weeks experience. ;)

Jammy
04-28-2003, 03:10 PM
Nope! I have only been runing SOB for about 12 and 1/2 days contrary to the 15.7 days listed at the official SOB website. I just follow the SOB thread over at DCA at Ars. Plus I read all of the posts that a fellow team mate, dragongoddess makes. She is very knowledgable. I learn mostly from reading and asking questions.

I still do not know the how's and why's of this project nor do I care to take the time to find out. The client is fast and I am a stats whore.

Jammy

Originally posted by Beyond

btw..me thinks you have had more than a couple of weeks experience. ;)